1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Power switch not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Silvergen, Feb 24, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. Silvergen

Silvergen Thread Starter

The issues began with the power button suddenly not working, so i removed it and shorted the two pins for power. First time turned on and logged into windows 10. A few moments after the screen froze and the computer just kept running like nothing was wrong. So i turned it off. Shorted the pins again went to login screen and froze there and lost all signal to my tv. Again i shorted the pins and no longer goes into windows 10 but loads past the BIOS startup. The screen goes blank every time with no signal though. Thoughts what could be the issue? I've so far reset the BIOS settings as i was overclocked before but still no luck. Tested PSU but it runs fine. Tested RAM via one stick at a time there fine. Tested GPU works in another PC fine. Not sure what route to take. Here are my full specs:
    Z77 motherboard
    I7 3770K @ 3.6 ghz
    RTX 2070
    16GB DDR3 RAM 1866 mhz
    PSU Corsair 750w
    x2 SSD's/no raid & 1TB HDD
    All watercooled no leaks or heating issues.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is an old motherboard and processor; the processor is now 8yr old. Up to you IF you want to attempt to fix this however IMO fixing hardware of this age is never cost effective.
    As Jim posted, the only way you are going to find out what part is causing the problem is to swap with known good units; ie pw supply, motherboard, etc. A quick check on newegg shows only very cheap, low end/quality motherboards for your processor OR very expensive used boards. This is just one reason why I say it is not cost effective.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  4. Silvergen

Silvergen Thread Starter

Thank you Oddba11 and crjdriver for your helpful comments. I will try tonight the troubleshooting guide i was not aware of and post what happens! This is my first pc biuld back in 2013 so I'd love to keep it going. It can still crank out AAA titles at 4K on high settings! I originally had a GTX 780 6gb but could never find another model with the 6GB memory to SLI with so i changed cards lol

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A good place to start with the troubleshooting is to swap in a new pw supply. If your pw supply is more than 6~7yr old, you would need a new one for a new build anyway. If it works, great. If it does not work, you know you need a new board, processor and ram. At least you would have a new pw supply for your build.

BTW you do not have to fully install the new pw supply. Simply connect atx, aux/cpu pw, and video pw. Hit the ON button and see if the board will POST. If it does, you have found the problem. If not, then you would need to get a new board, etc.

6. Silvergen

Silvergen Thread Starter

After troubleshooting everything it came down to my Z77 sabertooth motherboard failed at some point. I reverted to an old ASROCK motherboard my wife used to have in the meantime. Everything works again :) Just CPU support for overclocking is non existent... stuck at 3.9Ghz @45C full load as the highest possible clock from 4.8Ghz @75C on the Z77. Also cut my RAM in half 16GB to 8GB lol Thanks for the help!

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad it worked for you. What exact asrock board did you use?
    Asrock is now a pretty high quality mfg however back when those boards were mfg, asrock was the "Budget line" from asus [read cheap]

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1240763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice