1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power switch problem on Asus pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 12tipp12, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 12tipp12

12tipp12 Thread Starter

Hello folks, Before i start i must say that based on the info i have this is really a shot in the dark but as ive got such good help in the past ive decided to give it a go. My problem is this, having offered to replace a friends cdrom drive with a cdrw i proceeded to replace it with no problems, but while removing the cover the wire marked power sw must have come off the motherboard terminal and no matter what way i put it back on it wont work, i dont kno for sure exactly where it was on the motherboard but based on the length of the wire and where the leds are connected i feel as though i cant be far out, but on the only plug available there are many possible ways to connect it, most of which ive already tried, of course because it wont switch on i cant identify the exact board using 1 of the available progs, so if anyone has even half a clue as to how i might be able to fix this **** problem id be glad to hear it and thanks in advance.

Bill

2. norton850

norton850

I guess one of the first questions is what do you mean by it doesn't work? Nothing turns on like fans or drives or is it that things are on but nothing on the monitor? If it is the first scenario is the LED lit on the MB (assuming there is one)?

3. 12tipp12

12tipp12 Thread Starter

Hello norton850, nothing happens when i press the on/off button , yes it does have LED and no it does not light, im wondering if i may hav damaged somthing while trying the various ways to connect but at no time did it appear to have power except where the rj45 connects at the back ie the small leds light up

Bill

4. norton850

norton850

The LED on the MB should light up even with the case front power button not being pressed. Inside the case check to make sure that the power cables from the PS to the MB aren't loose. Check the switch at the back on the case to make sure it is in the on position. (not all cases have one) Check the power cord connection. Check your power strip or wall outlet. When you were working on things did you have the system unplugged?
    Edit: probably some power going into system with the network LEDs on. So some of the things I suggested may not apply.

5. 12tipp12

12tipp12 Thread Starter

Thanks norton850, il have a look at the things u suggested 2moro and see what happens, and many thanks for your suggestions its very much appreciated.

Bill

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice