Power unit about to fail??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

moozer

Hi guys!

There is an unusual clicking sound which occasions itself around my PC. At first I thought that my Hard Drives were going, but it then led me to think that the CPU fan was going. But on opening up the PC, I noticed that a lot of dust had accumulated, so I cleaned it out and noticed that the fan in the power unit wasn't going round when swithced on.

It makes a horrid noise like it's trying to revive itself - but is it time to get a replacement unit?

Thanks

Good Morning moozer, absolutely, vitaly important!
Hasten before something is destroyed.
The PSU is a complicated Switching System that is engineered with the cooling provided by the fan, sometimes these fans may be replaced but it is possibly safer to consider another PSU.
qldit.

moozer

Thanks!
Will I need to get the same power rating. I think I have an old 200W PSU but this one is a 300W. I would assume that I need to keep to same rating but not sure about electronics!!!!

If you currently have a 300W it would be better to be equal or greater than.
If you have only limited power useage with a basic machine and no fancy gaming type video card or high power needs the 200W should be satisfactory.
What is the system, processor, video and drives? And what application?
qldit.

moozer

A simple system:

Intel Celeron 366Mhz
320 MB RAM (2x128MB 1x64MB PC100 SDRAM)
8MB on-board AGP graphics
1 on-board Sound Blaster
2 HD (1 = 4.2GB 1 = 2.1GB)
3.5" Floppy drive
CDROM (12x)
USB game pad
USB webcam

Using Windows 98 Second Edition
As you can see it's a basic system.

moozer said:
A simple system:

Intel Celeron 366Mhz
320 MB RAM (2x128MB 1x64MB PC100 SDRAM)
8MB on-board AGP graphics
1 on-board Sound Blaster
2 HD (1 = 4.2GB 1 = 2.1GB)
3.5" Floppy drive
CDROM (12x)
USB game pad
USB webcam

Using Windows 98 Second Edition
As you can see it's a basic system.
Good Morning moozer, with that particular system the 200watt should be satisfactory, but run Everest and check the sensors page voltages when you fit it.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
If you experience any problems with "hanging starts" move up.
Pay attention to any USB devices you might plug in and their power consumption.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, the maximum amount of power a USB device can draw is 2.5 watts ([email protected]) for a single connection, so they're not exactly "power hogs". :D

Good Morning Rumpo, You are very astute, valid point!
How come John missed that! LOL!

The easiest way to tell is probably the power lead going to the remote "on" switch.
I think moozer would be aware of that though.
qldit.

Just replace the fan and be done with it. I've replace the fans in power supplies multiple times. Use a ball bearing fan of the same size.

Try to keep your hand away from any large capacitors.

And take the time to blow the dust out while you got it open.

moozer

Thanks for the links everyone!

Doesn' t seem to be any noises/clicks from PC at the moment - I'm sure that's just a temporary thing!!!

I'll open up he PC once the noises start again and determine if it's the drives or the PSU - the Hitachi website could indicate a drive head failure (sound #1 sounds similar to mine)

Will get back to you soon!

Thanks in the meantime!

Andy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online