1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power Up Issue: LAN Cable Disables Power Switch?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lightnb, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lightnb

lightnb Thread Starter

I've got a computer that's turned off. I press the power switch, and nothing happens. Now, I unplug the network cable and the computer turns on.

Why does having a network cable connected prevent the computer's power switch from functioning? And why does unplugging the network cable cause it to power up?

The computer has worked fine for a year, but was recently moved to the other side of the room, and a new switch replaced the old network hub at the same time.

2. lightnb

lightnb Thread Starter

I swapped network cables and the problem still persists.

Any ideas?

3. lightnb

lightnb Thread Starter

Ok, here's an interesting discovery: It works fine when it's plugged directly into the 10/100 router, but misbehaves when it's connected to the 10/100/1000 switch. The computer has a gigabit NIC.

Do know if that helps, but maybe it narrows it down a bit?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds like you have some sort of power or grounding issue with one of the components.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/574517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice