1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power up; Power down.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by INeedGmail!!, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. INeedGmail!!

INeedGmail!! Thread Starter

I changed my motherboard from an old one that wasn't detecting hard drives. I power on my system and it starts up (mechanically) but there is no video output on my display. it automatically power off after 2 or 3 seconds. then it retries and same result. then it gives up. I have tried various changes in the hardware config. such as how the power is hooked up to each other. I have a lot of "power sharing" configs; i don't know how else to explain it. lot of hooking.

what could be the cause of it not starting. It's an Abit IP35-E motherboard. when the power is hooked in there's a bright red light ( i assume thats the display of power going through the motherboard). I'm almost certain my computer is just failing POST.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Using onboard video or separate card? Does it shut down and fail to post or stay on and fail to post.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

I see that's a socket 775 board. EXACTLY what processor and processor cooler are you using?

4. INeedGmail!!

I am using a socket 775 Pentium D 930 3.0 ghz Intel Processor. with its original heatsink.

I also have an Nvidia Geforce 7900 video card installed. I am not using onboard video I don't think.

thanks you guys

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

When you pulled the processor and cooler, did you clean the processor heatspreader and the heatsink, and re-apply fresh thermal compound or a new thermal pad?

6. INeedGmail!!

There was a power socket (i believe) above the cpu heatsink area where i had connected a power cord. it wasn't a perfect fit it was only four of 8 holes. when I removed that the pc started and continued to run. no beeps were heard. the only problem is the display wasn't functioning . it remained blank and never showed signs of input. I removed and reinserted my video card (which does start up). still no response. the pc runs, no display.

7. INeedGmail!!

as for the thermal compound. I had re-applied it, but i decided to completely scrape it off since a little of it got under the cpu. i wiped the cpu off as best i could and there is a little white streak of what glue used to be on it. but it's very minuscule.

8. INeedGmail!!

would the bios screen come up even with an exempt cpu? if all else was correctly set up

9. INeedGmail!!

hello? Can anyone help me with this problem?

thanks ahead of time

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice