1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power up problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Karina234, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karina234

Karina234 Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba A105-S4054 Laptop, purchased in the fall of 06. Recently I had to replace the LCD, for about 160. dollars, all has gone well with that.

Last night, it started shutting itself off. I would restert it, could feel the fan running, and it would get to the desktop, I could move the mouse around, and it would die.

So I removed the battery, tried running directly from the AC adapter, no joy. Tested the AC adapter with a neat little device that glows when there is power, there is power, although the battery is not holding a charge.

I also tried an external monitor just incase.

Then I removed the RAM and reseated it, tried another RAM stick, still would not stay on.

I did manage to get the bios and set it to boot from CD, then tried running a Linux Live, Linspire CD, and it would start, but I still got shut down.

I removed the Hard Drive and tried the Linspire again, same problem. It would recognize it, but then shut down.

So I tore it down to the motherboard basically, but I had missed a few things , and when I popped off the plastic, lots of things came unhooked, like the keyboard, and what seems like is the mousepad, and 2 other things, I went ahead and cleaned out the CPU fan, which did have some lint in it, quite a bit, and the little copper radiator looking thing also had lint, I cleaned all of that off.

Put it all back together, which was a chore, because those tiny connections are hard to get in there. And now it won't even power on at all.

If I tear it all back down tomorrow can I link to photobucket and post pictures here so someone might could tell me if I am missing some connection, or have something wrong in there?

Nothing on the motherboard looked burned or scorched or anything. I would like to know where the bios battery is so I could try removing it and trying again before I give up.

Any help will be GREATFULLY Appreciated:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice