1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power, Usbs, and cd drive dead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobandirus, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobandirus

bobandirus Thread Starter

First of all, I'll point this out so its very obvious: This laptop is going back to The Tech Guys on Tuesday. The reason that I'm asking is because by the time that they are predicting I'll get my laptop back, it will have been away from me for over a month, which is more than slightly irritating for Uni work.

Now, on to the problems.

End of last year, the fan in my DV3-4050ea started bellowing away (only about 5 months old at that point), so I booked it in for a repair with The Tech Guys, as it was still under all the warranties that came with it, as well as PC support. Should have gotten it back after 2 weeks, but they needed it for another. It came back to me on Friday, but this time the Power port, the 2 usbs, and the CD drive were not working! Everything on the right side wasn't working. The power cable does work, I tested it in my old DV3 which my mum is now using.

Is there any way I can fix this, without huge work, as apparently to get to the heat sink and fan, they had to remove the keyboard, so I don't really want to do that. I am happy(ish) to take the back off, if it will be simple. I really don't want to break the warranty, as if they cant fix it and get it back to be by next Friday, I can get a replacement.

2. FijiJohn

FijiJohn

With all that is wrong, let the Tech Guys work on it.

3. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Sounds like you're letting shoemakers fix your laptop! <sigh> It should never have left their shop in that condition! Have them fix, or, preferably, replace, your current laptop and never set foot in their shop again. Warn your friends and family.

Most laptops do not disassemble from the back. The bottom case is generally where everything is secured to, and most of the parts layer on top, often more than 2 layers of boards or assemblies. You are probably better off not trying to go inside, especially if you've never been inside one before.

4. bobandirus

bobandirus Thread Starter

Yea thats what I thought. It was worth the try though, so thanks anyway :)

It came from PC World! I'm so supprised. I would have thought it would have been fixed better by them. I'm going to replace it with an Envy 14, as thats the best replacement with price, unless you can think of a better bet.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977747

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice