1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Power - Why can't we?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StumpedTechy, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

After looking at the RATS nest of cords under my desk I have to wonder about some things -

Why did the power cord from the PC to the monitor go the way of the dinosaur in that many power supply manufacutrers don't offer that passthrough? (I think I have seen one or 2 of those still arund though). Why isn't there a power supply setup that the PC power supply can power periphrials that attach to it as well? E.G. some connector that attches to the case that allows you to then connect the periphrial drictly to that instead of to having to run a wire. Why can't power be added to the data cord in some way to reduce cord clutter?

Just a few things I noticed and pondered as I swapped out my UPS and had to navigate so many cords it looked like I was starring in the snake scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah I know what you mean there are times I look under my desks and wonder how we survive. I remember as a kid being yelled at for using an extension cord to plug 4 things into a wall outlet and being scolded by parents that I would cause a fire. Now I must have 17 plugs into 1 plug in the outlet alone.

3. onsite

onsite

They disappeared when PC's went from AT to ATX. Remember AT PCs had an on/off switch that went directly to the power supply, while ATXs the on/off switch goes to the mainbaord. So I guess it was a load issue or cost ?

A/C running along side data wires would introduce a/c signals in the data lines.
    sort of the way a transformer works, where the primary winding introduces pulses in the secondary with lines of flux.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

I could of sworn I saw some on the ATX Power supplies but you may be right.. that was about the time I saw them dwindle... I never put the corellation of AT vrs ATX to this plug being there or not.

Couldn't you simply use a shielded cable for that though? I know data too close to power can be an issue but heck we've started getting into POE it should be possible in other aplications too.

I made a power plug count and it is insane -

1) Monitor
    2) KVM
    3) USB mouse docking station
    4) Printer
    5) USB hub
    6) External HDD case
    7) External HDD case
    8) External HDD case
    9) PC
    10) PC
    11) PC
    12) PC
    13) Speakers
    14) Scanner
    15) Switch
    16) Router
    17) Cablemodem
    18) Wireless access point
    19) Camera
    20) Unused plug where I plug in any PC I am currently working on.
    21 -23) non computerized light, printing calculator, and shredder.

:eek:

5. onsite

onsite

Nope no ATXs like that. Remember the AT power on switch on the front of the PC, actually turned the AC to the PS on and off. The ATX power switch connects a logic pin to ground potetial.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  7. onsite

onsite

where is it ? that is just a regular power supply. We were talking about power supplies on AT computers, that on the back of the power supply had a place ( that was switched) to plug the a/c for the monitor.
    oops i looked again you have to click on the picture in the upper corner. I'll bet though that the A/C is not switched on / off with the power switch like the AT ones were ... so it may not be a "true". is there a description

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The modern PSU's with the IEC power socket for the monitor is not switched.

Nobody usually switches monitors these days anyway, they go to power save mode when the video signal is lost, drawing about 3 watts only.

9. qldit

qldit

Good Evening All, yes, it is amazing Nicola Tesla's systems are used in every way by everyone on a daily basis, but the most significant design of his energy transmission system is lost.
    It is only a matter of time until his ideas are re-invented and probably make fools of his detractors.

He was certainly the greatest mind that has ever lived.

The amazing thing was that his designs were virtually tested and modified in his mind before they were actually created, so his designs operated from initial construction.

His withdrawal from the Philadelphia Experiment was typical of his incredible ability to understand adverse implications of designs.

So we are stuck having to use his power system with his transformer designs with leads.
    qldit.

10. onsite

onsite

Didn't Tesla burn out the turbine driven generators at Cedar Rapids ( or where ever it was)
    When he was doing an experiment to transver current through the air. Then he went to the generating plant and rebuilt the generators , making them even more efficent.
    I think also was there a court case in the 30's that the out come was that Tesla owned 60% of the first radio patent and Marconi the other 40%. Wasn't Edison in on it too. ?

11. qldit

qldit

Something after that kind of thing, but the power station burnout was actually caused by a design alteration where the neutral bus was earthed, which was the real reason for the burnout.
    Having an earthed power buss was not Tesla's original idea, apparently.
    It is the earthed arrangement that makes mains systems dangerous.
    This is an arguable area. (LOL!)
    The experiment at the time of the power station burnout involved oscillatory stimulation of the earth's crust as far as I know, and involved very high voltages which caused the winding insulation in the alternators to break-down.
    This particular technology gets pretty complex. It has been pursued in other places.

The experiment I was inferring was the radio-frequency energy transmission system where devices were able to use tuned circuits to absorb the transmitted energy thus not require power leads. (Wireless energy transfer)
    Theoretically this would appear as a very lossy method of transfer but apparently Tesla had considered this aspect.
    This was the current through the air system.
    I believe it was in NY with a large wooden sphere antenna system which was torpedoed by bureaucracy.
    It was interesting that when he originally designed the alternators at Niagara, there was also a problem with the actual turbines which he was also instrumental in redesigning.
    There were many other incredible instances of genius also, truly amazing stuff.

His work with Edison was also exemplary and in the long distance telephone system design, mainly in Europe.
    Apart from designing vehicle ignition systems and heterodyning radio systems he was way up there with mechanical as well as electrical stuff.
    So we are stuck with leads! (LOL!)
    qldit.

12. onsite

onsite

I thought it burned down

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Thats wierd, the link changed.

Attached Files:

• PSU.JPG
      PSU.JPG
      File size:
      36.5 KB
      Views:
  14. onsite

onsite

It's been Hijacked.:)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice