Powerbook 540c

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

44.robot

i 've got this old 540c powerbook and i dont know to much about it or Mac OS's.i was wondering if this notebook could be upgraded to modern times or if it would be worth the time to do so?I really wouldn't want to put to much money into it ,i would however if it allow me to use everyday applications.

No. The hardware is at least 13 years old (pre-PPC), but you would have to find an upgrade to the PPC (may not even be made). The latest software designed for it was OS 7.5 (pre-pre-pre OS X), which was stopped being upgraded about 13 years ago. You would have to check, but many of them relied on external modems to connect to the internet. Maximum RAM was 36 MB.

Having said that, if it is in decent shape, then you could load it with the good OS 7.5 software and still use it, providing you could find the software. I had a desktop with all the same specs (bought it in 1993), and it was a good machine. But I would not remember anything about setup or trouble shooting.

It really sounds like it would not be worth spending money on it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online