1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Powering down completely before doing repairs/upgrades/tests

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NoviceTechie, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NoviceTechie

NoviceTechie Thread Starter

I know I have numerous posts up, but I didn't want to mix the questions on the same thread. I hope that is okay.. I have an M3n78 PRO mobo, and it does have a green indicator light to show that power is on or being supplied to the motherboard. The light is always on, as long as the PSU's switch is flipped on. Okay, tonight I was testing Memory by plugging it into different memory slots. I had 2 sticks to test. My normal procedure was to power down the PC and flip the power switch on the PSU itself. On a few occasions I forgot to flip the power switch, but I did ensure the PC itself was "off," and I just replaced the memory or reseated it as necessary. On retrospect, now I'm worried forgetting to flip the PSU switch would cause a shortage or some electrical problem somewhere. My question, is this something to worry 'bout? or am safe by the fact that the PC was turned off (just not powered off from the PSU)?

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Before any computer component is removed or installed the machine should be shut down either by unplugging the machine from the source, or turning off the power supply and the capacitors discharged by pressing and holding in the POWER ON button for approximately 30 seconds.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It used to be in the old days I would swap memory with the system OFF and still plugged in so it would be grounded. Today with modern mb, you cannot do that. As you have seen pw is supplied to the board even though it is OFF [This is how wake on LAN works]

As to whether or not you damaged something, pw ON and see how it works. If it works OK, then do not worry too much about it.

4. NoviceTechie

NoviceTechie Thread Starter

Everything seems to be fine. I'll be watching for any errors or weird behavior. To be safe I ran memtest for a good 7 hours and the RAM was fine. Curious though, I've always been told to power down the machine, but keep it plugged in. Then I'm supposed to flip the power switch on the PSU itself, to act as a grounding mechanism. Is there a better way to stay grounded?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad it works OK for you.

FWIW here is what I do when working/building a machine;
    1 Work on a hard floor not carpet
    2 Ground myself by touching a screw on a wall socket ie the screw that holds the plastic plate on. This removes any static charge from me.
    3 Most important Use common sense and do not handle parts by the contacts I do not use a wrist strap or anything like that and have never fried a part with static.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

I guess everyone does repairs a little differently. As I stated in post # 2; the machine should be shut down either by unplugging the machine from the source, or turning off the power supply.

I have a UPS at my workbench and I simply shut off the UPS. The machine stays grounded since it is always connected to the UPS. So I don't have to bother with touching anthing to discharge myself, and for extra protection I use, and have always used an antistatic mat. I just attach the alligator clip to an out of the way metal portion of the chassis. Besides adding antistatic protection it is also a nice surface to work on.

Just take whatever precautions you feel necessary to protect your customers machine. If you are flashing BIOS's make sure you always have the machine connected to a UPS.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice