Solved Powering on Secondary Monitor Causes Desktop to Crash

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shosta

Howdy everyone,

Last week I bought a desktop computer to replace the 6-year-old laptop I've been using since college. For the laptop, I bought a secondary LG display (LG W2243T-PF 22-inch 1080p Widescreen) to help with multitasking. This LG monitor has a VGA port; the new desktop doesn't, so I bought an Insignia HDMI to VGA adapter to get them to work together. The first time I turned the LG monitor on, my computer crashed, saying that "Win32kbase.sys" had stopped working. Once the computer had restarted, both monitors booted up fine and I was able to use them with minimal issues. This morning, I turned on the secondary display again and experienced another crash. It seems that if I turn on the monitor after I boot up the desktop, something goes wrong, but if I turn on the monitor beforehand, the desktop can figure out how to adapt to it. Here are the desktop specs in full:

HP ENVY Desktop Intel Core i5 12GB Memory 128GB Solid State Drive + 1TB Hard Drive Blacksilver
OS: Windows 10 Home, 64-bit (version 1703, OS Build 15063.483)
Model: 750-514
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 12187 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 118 GB (41 GB Free); D: 920 GB (864 GB Free); E: 10 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP, 82F1
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

If it matters, my primary display is as follows:
HP 23 IPS LED HD Monitor Natural silver
Model: T3M74AA#ABA

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shosta

VGA is analog; but, HDMI is digital so that adapter is far more than you think it is. You would have done better to have used an HDMI to DVI adapter and there is a DVI port on that LG monitor (it's white).
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-HDMI-Output-Adapter-Cable/dp/B014I8UU2W
Do you mean in the sense that it requires more processing power than my computer can supply? I assumed there was a compatibility issue, but I was curious to know if there were any settings I could tweak to make my current setup more reliable, or if I have to just go out and buy new cords/a new monitor.

The HDMI to VGA converter cable HAS TO BE a device in its own right because it needs to convert the signals from digital to analog in order to work.
That cable I posted really is just an adapter for the different pinouts; though, an HDMI monitor would be the most reliable.

Shosta

The HDMI to VGA converter cable HAS TO BE a device in its own right because it needs to convert the signals from digital to analog in order to work.
That cable I posted really is just an adapter for the different pinouts; though, an HDMI monitor would be the most reliable.
Figured as much...Thank you for the quick reply.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online