1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Powerline Adapter Driver issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ernestdrums, Oct 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ernestdrums

ernestdrums Thread Starter

Hello I recently built my first gaming PC. For my ps4 and laptop I have used a power line adapter connection with an ethernet cable with no issues. Simply plugged it in and it worked for those devices. I downloaded Windows 10 for my PC and connected this same ethernet connection to it. My PC picks up the connection however won't connect to the internet because the "drivers need to be updated". My laptop uses Windows 10 aswell. When I plug this connection to my laptop it works just fine. Not sure what the issue is here

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Goto the powerline adapter manufacturers website and download the latest drivers for your OS.

3. imstewart

imstewart

First Name:
    Ian
    Hi, I think the powerline adapter may be a red herring, as you say that the Laptop and PlayStation are working fine. But has you have just installed a fresh install of Windows that you may need to get the latest driver for your PC network card from manufacture as the default drivers that comes with Windows 10 may not be 100% support your network card out of the box.

I would get a USB Pen drive to download the drivers on your Laptop and then transfer then over to you PC to install them. The hard part if knowing what make& model of the network card you have installed.

When you say it is "connected", do you get an IP address or it is just the link light on the card that comes on...

I know this may be a pain, If you want to rule out the PowerLine device you can try and move the PC next to the router / modem to see what happens.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Powerline Adapters don't need Windows drivers.

Tell us what motherboard you have and we can help you get the correct Network drivers.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well, let's make sure what the TS means by 'downloading Windows 10'.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice