1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Powerline woes - NOT plug & play

Discussion in 'Networking' started by neiloid1, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neiloid1

neiloid1 Thread Starter

Hi all

First post after looking for the answer using the search tool and just getting frustrated.

OK, I have 20meg broadband through Virging media in the UK. I havve a wireless set up through their Superhub at 300mbps but wanted to take the boys PS3 out of the equation and give him a more stable online gaming environment so I picked up a couple of Newlink 200mbpspowerline ethernet adaptors.

Problem is they came with no instructions, can't find any on the web and when I plug them in they cannot connect to the internet. The PS3 can't find the IP address and neither my laptop (windows 7) nor my PC (windows XP) will connect. I've turned off the superhub, left it, turned back on and nothing.

Not very tech so please be gentle.

Thanks in advance.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Plug one into an electrical outlet near the router and connect it to a router LAN port by ethernet cable. Plug a second unit into an electrical outlet near another device (computer, game machine, etc.) and connect it to the device by ethernet cable. Cross your fingers and hope that your electrical system is good enough to support powerline adapters.

3. neiloid1

neiloid1 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, that was exactly what I did first off but with no joy. House was built 20 years ago so I would hope the house wiring was up to the job.
    Any other thoughts on how to solve this ?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the make and model of the powerhubs
    any lights on them at all
    connect a PC to the cable that goes to the first powerhub and check the internet works OK via that cable

are you using the hubs on an extension lead - some do not work like that

do you have a double socket you can plug both hubs into connect one to the router and one to a PC
    do a powercycle

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to power cycle

“power cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router
    • Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
    • Wait at least 30 seconds.
    • Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch them on.
    • First turn on the modem and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
    • Next switch on the router (if a seperate device ) and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
    • Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. neiloid1

neiloid1 Thread Starter

Hi Etaf
    Thanks for your reply.
    The make is Newlink, model NL-HP200DL
    TheY were plugged straight into a wall socket, no adaptors and I have only the two, one at the combined modem/router and the other at the PC. Running cat5e between both.
    Will try the rebooty thing and see if I get any joy and post results.
    Thanks again, Neil

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!