1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Powerpoint 2000: Can't Print (Nothing happens)

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by tmeier, Oct 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tmeier

tmeier Thread Starter

I am using Powerpoint 2000 on a HP Brio 400MHZ with 64 MB RAM. When I go to print or page setup in the file menu on Powerpoint it does nothing. It acts as if I didn't even select that command. When I do the same thing in any other of the Office 2000 products it prints just like it is suppose to. The only one that is messed up is Powerpoint. I have tried removing and reinstalling Office 2000, and reinstalling the printer. I have tried both a local printer and a network printer and neither work with powerpoint, but both work with Word and Excel. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thomas J. Meier

2. jcandiff

jcandiff

can you save that same powerpoint slide as a word doc and print it?If that same slide does not print in word then it could be that the size of the slide is far more than the memory for the printer.
    I know tht this is a little far fetched but atleast by doing this you will find out whether it is printer related or Powerpoint

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

4. tmeier

tmeier Thread Starter

I have tried the two suggestions and neither has helped. I can print in word the same document. It doesn't matter what document I want to print, Powerpoint will not print it. I have checked the Microsoft website and still nothing there for this. The other thing that I have noticed is that when I go to Tools and Options, the Printing and Saving tab is missing. It has two tabs with nothing on it and it matches with the priting and saving tab. Thanks for any continued help.

Thomas J. Meier

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

Alright, Tom. Are you ready? I'm giving instructions to fix your PowerPoint registry files, okay? Follow the instructions very carefully.

1. Programs closed.
    2. Start-Run. Type "regedit" without the quotes, and hit Enter.
    3. Browse to the following folder as though you were using Windows Explorer:

hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\office\9.0\powerpoint

4. Right-click the PowerPoint folder, hit Rename.
    5. Call it OldPowerpoint and hit Enter.
    6. Close the registry editor window.
    7. Launch Powerpoint.

All set?

6. tmeier

tmeier Thread Starter

I went through the renaming of the registry entry and it started up and made a new registry entry, but I still have the same problem. It won't print and in the Tools, Options box it still doesn't show saving or printing tabs. I appreciate all the ideas you are giving me to try. The only thing that I know that has worked is to reformat the hard drive and reinstall everything. Not really something I want to do, but will do if I have to.

Thomas

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

Did you:

Follow the clean hard drive instructions explicitly (to the letter)? If not, it may not help at all.

Is this just one presentation or ANY presentation? Does a brand new presentation print?

Have you installed SR-1?

Frankly, if it's just Powerpoint, reformatting is overkill. Give us some time...

8. tmeier

tmeier Thread Starter

Yes, I followed it to the letter on the clean hard drive.

This is on any presentation, new, or old.

Thomas

9. qholmes

qholmes

Hey guys, was this issue ever solved? I'm having the same problem. What should I do?

10. subaruwrx

subaruwrx

reinstall the printer? PS driver?
    --Adam

11. qholmes

qholmes

The machine is on a network. I reinstalled the printer that I was trying to use, but nothing happened. What should I try next?

12. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

All I can advise tmeier is to completely uninstall Office 2000. Then use Eraser 2000 available (I think) on the CD or at very least from Technet (I've got the link at home). And then install Office fresh.

13. subaruwrx

subaruwrx

Try installing a post script driver... Otherwise, reinstall office?
    Waht kind of printer is it?
    --Adam

14. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

Subaru: I'm very curious as to why you think installing a post-script driver would help. Generally, Microsoft products don't USE post-script format (though they're capable)--that's typically for/from Adobe products.

15. subaruwrx

subaruwrx

I have had a similar issue with Excel twice. Each time i reinstalled the driver. Once it was a PS driver, the other time it was a pcl driver. reinstalling with a LJ8000 ps driver (as opposed to a 5si pcl5e driver) resolved the issue. Probably coincidence. At any rate. Thats what i think the is
    --Adam

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/56013