1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Powerpoint 2002 saving with a password

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jburkett, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jburkett

jburkett Thread Starter

We are in a school setting. Students on a few of our computers cannot save their powerpoint files using a password--there is no error message--everything looks like it works. But the filename does not change in the title bar and when you close the file, it prompts you for saving. Even if you go through the whole thing again, it doesn't acknowledge your save with the password. It only does this on some machines, so we assume it's some silly setting somewhere--but we have no idea where.

If anybody can help, we sure would appreciate it.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Are you SURE everyone is running 2002??
    Does everyone have the same SRs/SPs?
    Exactly how are they saving the files?

3. jburkett

jburkett Thread Starter

Yes, we are sure. We upgraded the entire lab from 2000 to 2002.

4. jburkett

jburkett Thread Starter

The location of the save doesn't seem to matter. We've tried saving to "My Documents", to a network drive, to a USB drive, to a floppy and it's the same thing for each.

What are SRs/SPs?

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    SR = Service Release
    SP = Service Pack

Anyway, sounds like you're no dummy. I sometimes ask questions just in case... :)

I asked: Exactly how are they saving the files? (not where) Can you tell me the steps being used? Just checking....I assume they're doing File-Save as, then Tools-Security...

Can they do it in a brand new presentation?
    Have them go to do the save, then hit Advanced on the password screen. Mine is checked (default) for encryption. Is theirs?

Grasping at straws...

6. jburkett

jburkett Thread Starter

Sometimes I think I'm incredibly stupid--I know this is probably something so simple, I'll just want to kick myself. Students are such little darlings, they probably changed something somewhere and didn't know they were doing it.

I check the encryption and it was check, there's nothing in the box above however.

You are exactly right on the steps
    File, Save As
    Tools
    Security
    Password to open and/or modify
    change filename
    click save

It seems to be saving, but the title bar filename never changes and the presentation is not there the next time!

Any straw you can grasp would be much appreciated!

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    >>but the title bar filename never changes and the presentation is not there the next time

WHAT??

Okay. So if we take one of these pres's to another PC, they are able to save it?

When's the last time someone cleaned up the PCs?

You're so darn close. You prolly oughtta just call me, and will put whatever worked here.

Call the 800: http://www.vbaexpress.com/contactus.htm

8. jburkett

jburkett Thread Starter

There's no way we can move the presentation to another computer because we can't save it anywhere!

On the title bar, next to where it says "Powerpoint" is the filename--even after we save, it still says Presentation1. For every computer we have--the filename here always changes to the current filename. If we just assume that the presentation has saved (even though the filename didn't change) and we exit the program, the next time we start, the presentation is not there.

We've compared every setting in "Options" to a computer that will save properly and they all seem to be the same. We also tried reinstalling Office XP and that doesn't seem to do the trick either.

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    It's definitely not saving. :)

Try a quick cleanup on one of the PCs to see if it helps. You don't HAVE to close the pres, but it's best if you do, as well as all other proggies.

Hit Start-Run and type %temp% and hit enter.
    Delete all the junk in there.
    If you're on Win2K PCs, then don't delete the temp internet files and history, etc. But you should delete everything it will allows you to delete, even if it says "it's a program file..."

10. jburkett

jburkett Thread Starter

Okay, tried that. All that was there was a folder VBE, that was empty. I deleted it.

We can save the pres. without a password and bring it up on another computer. (used a USB key) But we can't save using a password on another computer and take it to one of the ones not working and bring it up there. It tells us the password is incorrect. (even though it's right)

In other words, we can move to a "password working" computer, but we can't move back to a "non password working" computer.

You have to forgive me here. I've been stuck trying to get this figured out--it's not my lab, but as chairperson, I'm supposed to try to solve it.

11. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Np. :)

Methinks you oughtta wipe PPT from the PC. Sounds like a big deal but it's not.

Are you there and ready to try it?

12. jburkett

jburkett Thread Starter

Tell me what to do?

13. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Close all programs on PC (try on one only for now).
    Have install disks ready just in case.
    Hit Start-Run and type regedit (may need to log in as admin first).

Browse to this folder:

hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\office\10.0\powerpoint (or similar--I forget if it's spelled out or not, might be pwrpoint or something)

Then right-click it and rename it to OldPowerpoint.
    Close.
    Restart PPT.
    It'll take a couple seconds longer maybe to re-register itself with Windows.
    See if it works on new ppt.
    Then try previous one...

14. jburkett

jburkett Thread Starter

Okay, did all of the above with no success. Still does the same stuff.

This is kind of interesting . . . if you save the pres. without a password, it will save okay. But if you save a pres. with a password, it won't save. If you try to save it again and eliminate the password, it still won't save. It's like you have been locked out of saving as soon as you activate the password commands.

The teacher in that room has tried re-installing PPT. Maybe it's time I took a crack at re-installing it myself. I can't imagine that she did anything different, but who know. I'm getting a little desperate here.

I'd call you, but teachers are not allowed to have phones with outside lines. This is getting rather tedious.

Maybe you could e-mail be directly?

15. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    No...don't bother reinstalling. We've basically done that...

Don't worry about it. I'm looking around. I'll hook you up with an MVP if I have to.

Please delete your email from your previous post. Email scanners will grab it off the page and you'll be getting spam before you know it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169020

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice