1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Powerpoint 97 files not opening in 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Zack Barresse, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse Thread Starter

Hi all!

Okay, so I've got a weird dilemma here. I've got a disc with some Powerpoint presentations on it which were created in PPT 97. I've used them for years without any issue. I copied half of them to my computer probably, oh I dunno, 7 or 8 years ago. Those that I copied are good. But I brought the disc back out, blew the dust off it, and tried opening the other files on it and nada. I can still read the data on the disc, and it copies over just fine, but won't open. I'm worried the disc is somehow still bad, it seems to be the only logical answer left, but wanted to post on here just to be sure. Powerpoint is certainly not my forte. It's at least worth the question if somebody has seen this before and can verify it for me. Thanks for taking the time to read. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Attached Files:

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

Zack, sometimes you get Read-Only issues with reading from a disk. Try copying the files you can't open to your hard drive and opening the copies.

3. Zack Barresse

Check and check. Same error. :( Files copied ok though, which to me, is the weird part.

4. valis

valis Moderator

have you tried other apps, like OO?

Also, have you run a chkdsk on it? IMO, that doesn't sound like a disk error if other files open fine.......generally a disk isn't going to be so selective as to only betamax ppt files.......but I reckon anything is possible.

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

PowerPoint 2007 cannot open PowerPoint 95 files. Even if the file was created in PowerPoint 97, 2000, 2002 or 2003, if it was saved as a PowerPoint 95 file, PowerPoint 2007 will not be able to open it and you will receive this error message.
    If you still have 2003, open the file in that and save it as a 2003 file.
    If you don't, well, I have 2003. :)

6. slurpee55

slurpee55

Or try opening it in Open Office and see if that can deal with the problem....

7. Zack Barresse

I can try OO, I think I have it on one of my machines around here... And it very well could've been created in 95, and I'd be willing to bet on it! There's probably 2 dozen (or slightly less) files. I don't have 2003 anywhere near me. LOL! But if you're willing to open/save/re-send, I'm game! A little larger than I can upload here, but not much. Let me know. :)

8. slurpee55

slurpee55

Zack, if you still have my email. zip it and send it to me.
    (If you don't still have it, it is loche at rocketmail dot com.) I have 2003 and can try to open it for you and save it as a 2003 file.

9. Morny

Morny

Hi Zack,

Not sure if you have this now sorted but I wonder if Microsoft have a patch you can download to enable older programs to work. I know they have with older version of Word and I just wondered if they may have one for PPP aswell?

10. Zack Barresse

I'll email here in a bit (on the wrong computer right now).

Morny: I haven't found anything like that. But my limited Powerpoint knowledge may hinder such a search. :eek:

11. slurpee55

slurpee55

To all - SP3 limited the ability to open a large number of earlier file types, and you must edit your registry to allow them. MS offers the information on how to do so here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810/en-us
    I found, however, that the regedit file download would not make the needed changes automatically, as it should, for the directory listings it should "update" never existed, and I had to go into the registry and edit them myself.

12. Zack Barresse

To add a note to slurpee's last post, that update was already installed on my machine with Office 2007. And still had no worky with the files for me.

13. slurpee55

slurpee55

Well, we all know you can't do anything (!!!) in Office, Zack! :)

14. Zack Barresse

I feel like a fish now!! :)

15. Morny

Morny

I must be lucky then because I decided to install SP3 last year and it has made my computer a little slower booting but otherwise, it's seems OK.
    Just wondered, Zack, when you initially used the disc, was this on a different PC? Also, are you opening the files from the disc itself? I'm trying to think here (I said trying!!) I may have had a similar problem years and years ago, whereby I couldn't open a disc anymore. Can't remember what it entailed but I don't think it got resolved.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice