1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PowerPoint Audio Files

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Freddie D, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Freddie D

Freddie D Thread Starter

I'm hoping some of you PowerPoint experts can help me out here. I've just completed a presentation using PP2000 that has a multitude of family pictures, sound effects, songs, etc. The problem I'm having is that there are some audio files that are 'contained in presentation', and others (the longer audio tracks) that follow a specific pathway. If the audio file is moved from that specific pathway, the song won't play. What I want to know, is there something I can do with these audio tracks to have them 'contained in presentation' as well, or something along those lines? The reason I'm asking, is because no computer is foolproof and if ever I lost everything, I want to be able to put this PowerPoint Show (which has been burned onto a disk) in the disk drive, and be able to watch it with no difficulties.
    I have been experimenting a little, trying to figure this out, and I burned all of the audio files onto a disk, hoping that I'd be able to just copy them back onto my computer, etc. The problem I found with that though, is all of the audio files are in either .mp3 or .wav format, and when I take them from the burned disk back to my hard drive, they are in what appears to be in .CDA format.
    I hope someone out there can decipher what I'm trying ask here, and I apologize for this being so long. :confused:

2. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> PowerPoint experts

I'm no expert, but I know a little about this one.

Tools -- Options -- General. There's a setting for "Link sounds with file size ...".

You need to rack this up to exceed the size of a file (?or files?) for it (?them?) to become embedded.

NB - only WAV files can be embedded.

HTH,
    Andy

3. Freddie D

Freddie D Thread Starter

Thanks XL Guru

I wasn't expecting such a quick reply. I'll definitely try what you've said. Unfortunately I have to leave for a bit, but will let you know how it all works out ASAP.

4. Freddie D

Freddie D Thread Starter

Well I "think" I've done what you've said, and it still doesn't seem to be working. I've converted all of the files to .wav format. When I clicked on: Tools...Options...General...Link sounds with file size greater than ?????, it originally had 100 in there. If I understand what you were saying, I raised that number to 50000 because all of my audio files, except for 1, are under 50000 kb.
    BTW the total size of the audio files is around 407 mb, while the PowerPoint presentation itself is only 48.2 mb (obtaining these numbers by right clicking, then clicking on properties). Obviously something doesn't seem right there. The more I dig into this the more confused I get.
    As well, there are some files that aren't embedded within the presentation, that are actually smaller in size than some that are.
    Again, I hope I'm making sense here, and many thanks in advance.

5. XL Guru

XL Guru

6. Freddie D

Freddie D Thread Starter

Thanks again XL Guru, I'll check out the link you provided and see how it goes.

7. Freddie D

Freddie D Thread Starter

Well that did the trick. The problem, was I had the audio files and the presentation in different folders. So I just put everything into one folder, as well as doing what you had suggested previously, and everything works fine now. It can sometimes be a little frustrating when you have a problem and you know the answer is always so simple.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice