1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PowerPoint show conversions

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by brassobob, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brassobob

brassobob Thread Starter

Does anyone know if possible, how, to convert MS Powerpoint presentations into other media formats? Specifically interested in DVD. The problem. My family has used .pps shows to share photos, with sound & music, for years. This format limits sharing; would like to preserve old shows with a format conversion if its even possible. Want to preserve the timing and sounds. thx

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Why should it limit sharing, for those that dont have PowerPoint they can use OpenOffice to see the PPS

3. brassobob

brassobob Thread Starter

MFDnSC,
    Yes, you are correct, there are MS provided viewers for non-Powerpoint owners. We typically put the PPViewer on all the CDs we burn for that purpose. My message was not specific enough, the sharing limitation is with older relatives who either don't have computers or are not particularly computer-literate to cope well. Most have at least moved to the DVD format if nothing else to watch box-office movies. thx. r/BrassoBob

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

10-4, now I don't have a clue

5. akm

akm

thanks for the post.
    im also interested in the answer from the standpoint of a 'family' photo/music powerpoint presentation that is such a large file (850000kb) that it wont fit on a cd and i dont have a dvd burner.
    can the powerpoint file be converted to another type of 'smaller' file for viewing only by a 3rd party software?
    likewise is there a file format that will make a powerpoint file be viewable with a browser from the net without powerpoint on the browser pc?
    sorry if this question may confuse the original... just ignore if doesnt work.
    im a powerpoint novice so will need to do some book learnin too.

6. brassobob

brassobob Thread Starter

AKM,

It seems we are both interested in the same end. If I may make a comment that may help you. I have used Powerpoint for almost 10 years now. My experience with the photo/sound projects was to not let the pic-show get too big (file size). We tended to have more problems, didn't show properly, etc. Not to mention your dilemma not withstanding. Our projects usually set out to categorize our photos into subsets and then we made smaller shows; always watcing file size (typically no larger than 40-60MB). This would solve your problem. You could save files on multiple CDs.

Good Luck. r/BrassoBob

7. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

First thiong with PPW is to insert from file and not copy/paste.

Also do not use BMP, but JPG or GIF

Older versions of PPT were pigs, a newer copy is better.

8. akm

akm

thanks to MFDnSC and brassobob for the replies.
    im using the pig version of ppt :)
    but, on the smaller file comment, is there a way to 'connect' the presentations if parts of one are in different files?
    and, about the web presentation via browser without ppt on client pc... any ideas?
    akm

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

My comment/question is, why are you burdening everything with PowerPoint?

.jpg images simply burnt to a CD (using no underlying application) should display as a slide show in most DVD stand-alone players.

The "next" remote button should display the next image. A manual slideshow.

You need to be aware that some stand-alone DVD players do not like CD-R (in any form), some do not like CD-RW. Its a bit of a lottery, I find the cheaper players tend to be the most compatable ones, and the ones that also recognise .jpg files with no need for the added software.

I can just drag and drop the images from my camera to a CD-R, send it to the relatives and they view it on their DVD players. All I need to remember is to make sure all images are in the right orientation (or they are sideways on the TV)

10. akm

akm

good question.
    the 'slide show' that i made with ppt includes text description and music background that changes as the slide show progresses... some slides displayed for longer intervals than others etc.
    if there is another application for doing that then im all for it... i just dont know what it is, yet.
    but then i havent looked that much yet, ppt just happened to be on my pc and i tried it.
    id also really like something that would let me upload the ppt like slide show to a web server for viewing with a browser.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice