1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PowerPoint tutorial sites

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by LadyLisa, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LadyLisa

LadyLisa Thread Starter

I have to learn PowerPoint by next week. Can anyone recommend a good tutorial site for it and also a site with tips and tricks. I have seen a few but I didn't find them very good, mainly too long winded.

:)

2. Rockn

Rockn

Go to google.com and do a search on "Poerpoint Tutorials" I don't know of nay off the top of my head as I never use the program.

3. LadyLisa

LadyLisa Thread Starter

Rockn, thanks but i did that and it gave a bunch of sites. I even printed one out caleed 'Powerpoint in 10 easy step' which turned out to be a book, must've printed about 100 pages. I just wondered if anyone knew of a site that was helpful, to the point and gave me all the little tips and tricks I would need to know.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Some tips and tricks about PowerPoint learned after using it extensively and by helping users over the phone (hence, knowing a lot of the common mistakes):

1. Use the master slide. It's under the view menu. Here's where you create the background and formatting for ALL slides. Put your company logo here.

2. Break your information down so that you only have 6 or so points on each slide--more is too much.

3. When pasting Word tables or Excel data, you may have problems, always try to copy it, then in PPT, choose Edit-Paste special-as a picture. If you keep losing columns when you paste these items, which is pretty common, try selecting additional blank columns.

4. When you insert sound, it only embeds 100KB or less by default. Increase it right away to a more reasonable size--enough to cover the size of your sound files and then some.

5. If you're doing movies, be prepared. PPT doesn't accept ALL movie types easily. And, though it might work fine on your PC, you need to make sure it works on the presentation PC. Test this stuff way ahead of time--and not just the movies.

6. PPT files go corrupt faster than any other kind of file in my experience. As you work, make your own "backup" file by closing the file, and then copying it--using Windows explorer--to any other location, or even in the same folder.

7. If you use drawing tools in PPT or any other Office program, I strongly suggest creating your drawing in an otherwise blank file. When you're done the drawing, select everything and group it so that your drawing really is only one object. Then copy/paste to your intended file. Having tons of drawing objects is (I've convinced myself) one of the reasons files go corrupt.

8. When using pictures in PPT or any Office program, always get your picture in, then cut it, then hit Edit-Paste special-As a picture. This reduces the electronic size of the file. Something about that it now does not have to retain information about the graphic because it's now just an Office drawing object. Occasionally, the picture will lose its viewing quality and then you just undo until you have the original back; but it happens very seldom.

9. If you're used to Word, create your text in Word. Just apply Heading1 style to your slide titles and Heading2 style to your bullet points. Then File-Send to-Powerpoint and it creates a blank presentation with your text. You then edit the slide master and insert your graphics and other stuff.

10. If you want to print it, avoid very dark and very light colors in your slide master. Though you're supposed to be able to, it doesn't always work to print it without the dark background or lighter text.

11. You can choose a template (File-New) even if you don't like something about it. Just open the slide master and change the colors of your objects (to your company colors?), or delete them, or resize them. If you can't seem to grab just one object in the slide master, try using the drawing toolbar in PPT and hit Draw-Ungroup. Then try to select one item. You may want to group them again when you're done.

12. To animate the objects in your slide, choose Slide Show-Custom animation. Beware: each different type of object on your slide may use different tabs in this dialog box. Look for them. Many people overlook it and call the helpdesk because they can't figure it out.

13. To go forward one slide, generally, you click the left mouse pointer. For other options, right-click it. If you want to go to slide 34, type it onto your keyboard. If you type it slowly, you may end up on slide 3.

14. Keep your common tasks toolbar up. If you pull in a slide from another presentation, you may need to hit Slide Layout-Reapply to get it to take on the properties of the master slide.

15. If you burn your presentation (or any file for that matter) to a CD and then copy it down to a hard drive, it retains the "read only" property from when it was burnt. Just right-click the file in Windows explorer, hit properties, and remove the read only. I say this 'cause lots of people show them on laptops and have no other way of putting the presentation on the laptop 'cause they're generally too big for a floppy.

16. If you want people to open the presentation as a show that begins running right away--and they have YOUR version of Powerpoint, save it as a show (*.pps). If you want people to open it as a show and they don't HAVE Powerpoint or don't have your version, read the help file on Pack and Go, which turns it into an executable. Read the directions carefully, and follow the instructions. Otherwise, it might not work when they get it.

17. To distribute the presentation on a CD, see this technet article: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q241/4/93.ASP

18. Back to the amount of info per slide. Don't put too much "data" on one slide. For instance, don't put an Excel spreadsheet that's got 12 columns and 12 rows. This is just too much data to comprehend in the minute or two that the slide will be presented. Use a chart. And don't put too many data points on one chart. Written information doesn't have to be complete; let the presenter say stuff if there's too much to cover in one slide.

19. Use Excel files instead of the chart feature in PPT. That way, you'll have a file with your data/chart that doesn't get lost if the presentation goes corrupt on you. I can't reiterate this enough. Sometimes the charts are the hardest part, so why risk losing it?

20. Use the Notes to create notes for the presenter. There's a Notes master too. You can use a mouse as a bullet in the Notes to let the presenter know it's time to move to the next slide. If you have too many Notes, create an extra slide with the same image, then hide that slide. When you present, the slide is skipped, but the instructor still has his notes when you print.

21. To print notes and other stuff, hit File-Print. There's a dropdown for What to print. Being in Notes view and printing doesn't necessarily print the Notes--you must choose in the print dialog.

22. Handouts are a lot like the notes, except you don't add any text. There's a master. And you print them the same way, but by choosing Handouts.

Can't think of anything else right now, if I do, I'll add to this later.

5. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

Way to go dreamboat!

The one thing that I can't emphasize enough is if you can, run your presentation on the puter that you will be doing your presentation on. All computers will change your presentation a little. In my presentation, the bullets got changed. My firend's presentation in class ended up with screeching tires on every mouse click and he didn't know why.

6. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

They have all kinds of stuff for the business of IT. I put 'powerpoint' in their search engine and came up with several powerpoint related articles and a downloadable powerpoint advice sheet. Good Luck!

7. LadyLisa

LadyLisa Thread Starter

Dreamboat

Thank you so much for all the helpful tips you gave me. That was just the kind of thing I was looking for........... shame on me for trying to look elsewhere :eek:
    One more question.... there are a lot of keyboard shortcuts, are there any that are used all the time or does it depend on what you are working on?

anglin_fool

The presentation is not for me, in fact I will be 'supervising' a bunch of people who will be putting their presentations together after the filming has ended. Besides their laptops I will also be using a Mac, which is a first for me. Thanks for reminding me about TechRepublic, I had forgot about them..... I will probably need all the help I can get

Thanks again to both of you for all the good advice..... I am going to need it.

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    To be honest, there just aren't that many applicable keyboard shortcuts in Powerpoint. I'm a shortcut user and can't think of any that aren't already in Windows, except for Ctrl-d (duplicate), which is available in all the Office programs and duplicates a drawing object or picture.

You can always go to Help and type in either "keyboard shortcuts" or "shortcut keys" and get a list of shortcuts.

9. LadyLisa

LadyLisa Thread Starter

Thanks Dreamboat

I'll print them out but they shouldn't be a problem if they're just the regular Windows shortcuts.

10. Gurnerworld

Gurnerworld

The main use for shortcut keys in PowerPoint tends to be for use during the actual presentation, rather than the creation of the presentation. These can be really useful, because no matter how good your powerpoint file is, it has to be delivered well to do itself justice.

You'll find a number of PowerPoint tips and shortcuts at my software tips site - you can click the link in my signature at the bottom of the page.

11. LadyLisa

LadyLisa Thread Starter

Gurnerworld

thank you. I'll go there right now.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice