1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Powers on but no display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Icaruspit, Feb 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Icaruspit

Icaruspit Thread Starter

Hello wondeful tech friends.
    I am a tech myself and Im at a stump here.

So, long story

This computer booted back at my friends place with a different gpu, thats it.

Every other piece of equipment including my other gpu have been tested and works in another computer, and the mobo-cpu are confirmed to work since they worked with a different gpu

Ive tested ram with a whole lot of different ways and other rams

Ive tried resetting the cmos with no sucess

Ive tried booting without the gpu in and on board graphics, and...thats it I believe

Im probably missing something stupidly obvious or I dont know

Thanks in advance for any help

I can post my specs afterwards if you guys cant come up with anything out of only this no worries

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Post the specs please.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It nearly impossible to help you without knowing what hardware you are running.
    Next when this system did complete POST, did you check temps and voltages?

4. Icaruspit

Icaruspit Thread Starter

Motherboard: Asus prime A320m-k
    Cpu: Ryzen 5 I believe 8 core 3.4 or 3.8 ghz
    Ram: 8GB single stick of 2400mhz or two 4 gb Fury hyperx
    Power: is a 500w thermaltake
    Storage: 250 GB ssd
    Video:( wont boot with or without) Msi armor mk2 8gb

5. Icaruspit

Icaruspit Thread Starter

and I had not. I did not think nor had the tools to do so.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No tools are necessary. When the system completes POST, all of the info is available in the bios.
    Next you need to be very specific as to which ryzen processor you are using. That board supports first, second, and third gen ryzen however the second and third gen are supported ONLY with a bios update. If you are running a 2xxx or 3xxx processor, then you will most likely have to update the bios before it will work.

7. Icaruspit

Icaruspit Thread Starter

That would make alot of sense. my friend hadnt seen past POST and he just gave me the board afterwards so I have no clue about the temps, but that may be it.
    I reset the cmos so that probably rolled back to some factory default UEFI and now it wont boot.
    Now taking that into consideration how would I go about flashing a BIOS without having access to it?

8. Icaruspit

Icaruspit Thread Starter

Also the ryzen is a 2600.

9. Icaruspit

Icaruspit Thread Starter

Okay I looked into it and it seems I can email amd to get a temporary processor and install the bios updates.
    Il see with them if its possible with my warranty.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

AMD had a loaner program where they would ship you a processor and you ship it back when done [very nice of them] I do not know if this is still a viable option.
    High end gigabyte, asrock or asus boards will allow you to flash a bios without even having a processor or ram installed however this board is one of gigabyte's entry level boards and does not have that option.
    If you are able to get the processor from amd, I would do an out of case build prior to installing the motherboard in the case. Up to you.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  11. Icaruspit

Icaruspit Thread Starter

Ive tried getting into their loaner program but to no avail, I dont have enough info to do it.
    But since this motherboard is still functional technically il put it up for sale with a warning that gen 2 and 3 ryzens are not compatible until bios update, and Il buy a new one and hopefully not be a ******* with that one.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1240082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice