1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Powers on, no beeping blinking monitor light.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pizarn, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pizarn

pizarn Thread Starter

I used a compressor to blow my computer out, removed the CPU to blow out the the Heatsinks etc.. poped it back in place and now it doesnt work. Powers on fully but the monitor power light just blinks, i also get no mobo beeps. I checked to see if i had a bent pin on the CPU which i did i bent it back in place with a razor put it back in place correctly. same problem.. any ideas?

2. coorrel

coorrel

Most of CPU pins break very easily, made from either gold or gold alloy very soft and pliable. I hope you didn't force anything when trying to push the pins in the CPU socket. Check the pins again, as long as the pins fit in the socket with no broken ones, the CPU should work. Other than if everything fitted smoothly together, maybe you forget to apply the thermal paste on the HSF perhaps?

3. pizarn

pizarn Thread Starter

Would not applying the paste cause the computer no to have any screens at all? one of the pins was bent cause i guess it was focred into placed and powered on.. But i fixed the bent pin back and it goes into the slot just fine now. Ive tried just placing the cpu into the slot with no heatsink etc, 1 stick of ram and the Grafix card and powered it on. It powers up all the fans go on but no display the grafix card is fine i tested that on another pc. A friend of mine said i may have shorted out the CPU or the MOBO but im not sure.

4. pizarn

pizarn Thread Starter

Specs are..

Asus p4s800

P4 3.0ghz
    450w psu
    Gefroce fx 5200, Geforce 2 and also a Geforce TI card. all work fine.
    2 sticks of 512 ram. pc2700

5. wolfgang53

wolfgang53

The blinking monitor light suggests no video signal from the computer. No beeps from the MOBO is more ominous. It could be something simple like a power connector getting knocked loose from the MOBO. Check to make sure all of the connectors to the MOBO are secure, but make sure you ground yourself on the chassis or use a gounding strap to prevent static electricity discharge. The potential danger here being shorting out the MOBO. The bent pin on the CPU indicates possible incorrect installation. Again while ground, make sure the pins onthe CPU are all straight and aligned properly and depending on chip/socket type, double check the right way to insert the CPU. It will only insert correctly, one-way, but can be inserted incorrectly many ways that are not immeditately obvious. There is usually some sort of a key arrangement at one corner of the socket and CPU pins. If everything looks like its in right and you still get nothing, I'd guess you have a more serious MOBO proble.

6. coorrel

coorrel

I don't understand??????
    What does screens (I assume monitor) got to do with thermal paste?

Good work...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice