1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Powersupply died - now I have probs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by huggynuts, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. huggynuts

huggynuts Thread Starter

hello hello... maybe 2 months ago now my pc's powersupply died.
    I replaced it with exactly the same and off we go.. however, since the new powersupply was put in I have problems with my media.

For instance.. Mp3's or Wav's no longer play very well, they are often crackling etc. sound like a burst speaker at times.
    Mpg's and AVI's dont play so well either, the sound appears to be fine on them however the frames played juttery for sometime.. unless the media player window was on top the movies would stick on one frame while the sound continued.

I haven't noticed any other real problems though just those.

I'm on windows 98 SE. I believe all drivers are working fine and I recently added ram up to 640mb but it didn't help much. I tried scandisk, defrag etc.. didn't help.

What might have happened to cause this.. maybe the powersupply on its way out damaged my motherboard?

I don't know :-/ but its getting frustrating now lol

Any input on this would be much appreciated.

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Scan for spyware using adaware. Remove additional running programs. Run DXdiag from the command line and check for any problems. Check in the device manager for any conflicts. Check for monitoring programs. Check for virus's. Check to make sure DMA is enabled on the hard drive if useing ME/98/95.

3. huggynuts

huggynuts Thread Starter

I did the spyware thing.. twice now since the powersupply died, didn't help at all.
    The Direct X thingy didnt show any problems but one where it said nvdisp.drv is not digitally signed.. saying new drivers for 98 are no longer tested for WHQL logos - I assume thats not a problem for me though.
    No conflicts in my device manager either.
    My virus check only had probs with a kazaa worm which I cleared my pc of, didn't help the media.
    And I believe I can't enable DMA on my pc. hm

It's truely a mystery to me, I can only assume the powersupply has ruined something else on my pc, either motherboard of processor. (P3 1 gig)
    Everything was fine till the new powersupply :-/

4. rmay635703

rmay635703

A PSU dying can cause a miriad of problems but since your machine still posts it is unlikely it did much damage.

The sound crackling could be from a damaged circuit but can also occur from setting the volume level on your system tray too high or from speakers that are amplifying too much (gain too high)

Also a PSU dying should have nothing to do with slowdown. Did it slow down before you added the ram? As Windows 98 doesn't like more than 512mb installed and strange things can happen when you do. Make sure to set your virtual memory limit to 512mb. (you can find several discussions on this in other threads)

Cheers

5. huggynuts

huggynuts Thread Starter

Yeah it slowed down when the new powersupply was put in.
    So something changed then.
    The ram didn't make anything worse, infact maybe helped movies play a little better if anything.
    The rest of my pc generally runs the same.

6. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Have you tried looking for motherboard drivers? Maybe that's it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice