Powersupply question

Theequilnox

So my brothers computer died and he gave it to me since he got a new one. His motherboard died and I parted it out. He has a 750watt power supply inside and I wanted to know if I can put it into my computer. Mine is a computer from 2019 and his power supply is from 2015. Would it not fit into my computer or maybe it would be something else. The fan spins with I connect the 15th and 16th pin.

crjdriver

Without knowing the specs of the pw supply AND the system you want to install said pw supply, it is really difficult to give you an answer. Most likely yes however until you post the specs, no one can be sure.

crjdriver

Yes, you can install that pw supply. Do understand that evga sells some very fine pw supplies however that one is NOT one of them. EVGA does not mfg their own pw supplies; the supernova series is mfg by seasonic and those are excellent. The low end ones are mfg by CTW [maker of oem stuff] The pw supply you are asking about is the equivalent of a dell or hp pw supply [in quality]

Theequilnox

so would you suggest selling it and a few other parts into the computer and buying a better kind? I need a 750w for a better graphics card

crjdriver

I would not use that pw supply with any type of gaming card. It only has a 2yr warranty and even evga says it is for a "Budget build" ie cheap.
The only pw supplies that are really up to running a gaming, overclocking, or other highly stressed system are as follows;
Corsair [AX, HX, or RM models only]
Seasonic
Antec [High current gamer models]

There are other quality pw supplies such as superflower however I have not used one and I am hesitant to recommend something I have not used.

I would not use that pw supply with any type of gaming card. It only has a 2yr warranty and even evga says it is for a "Budget build" ie cheap.
The only pw supplies that are really up to running a gaming, overclocking, or other highly stressed system are as follows;
Corsair [AX, HX, or RM models only]
Seasonic
Antec [High current gamer models]

There are other quality pw supplies such as superflower however I have not used one and I am hesitant to recommend something I have not used.
With respect we don't want to be the power supply police here you don't go telling people to trash power supplies just because they aren't Corsair [AX, HX, or RM models only], and to say that those are the only power supplies that are up to gaming is misinformation. OP test it out it should be fine.

Last edited:

crjdriver

I said I would not use that pw supply. If you read the full post, you would see that I state there are other quality pw supplies however I have not used them and I do not like to recommend something I have not used.

Your advice is certainly sound but I would recommend that the OP try the PSU instead of just selling it, and replacing it directly with your suggestion there is also a chance of getting a 'dud' power supply no matter the quality or rating (sometimes because of shipping mishaps or it's simple a dud) whereas if you already have a known good working power supply unit you are good to go. There is nothing wrong with recommending someone sell the current power supply at all if they have the money do it but if they do it I would highly recommend you don't just throw away that older PSU keep it in case of a dud and you need to RMA. Known good working parts are an absolute must for every serious gamer or rig builder. Gold, Silver, Bronze, you keep working parts.

crjdriver

Of course you keep working parts AND it would make a decent "Test" unit. I just would not use it continuously in a gaming system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online