1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pppoe connection start is very slow on my computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by intre4si32, Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intre4si32

intre4si32 Thread Starter

Is it normal? I'm running Win XP SP3 as OS, limited user account (pppoe starts slowly as well from the administrator account), the only program in the startup is the antivirus--avast.
    What happens typically just after logging is that I open the browser and stare at it waiting for connection and if I open the task manager i see svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE at 99% CPU all this time it dials its connection. It's something like 2-3 minutes more after logging till i can surf the web.
    I had previously a linux install on this computer in which the same pppoe worked very fast compared with what i get on Xp, i used to log in and the daemon was taking 2 seconds to start . Compared to that experience i don't get at all the way pppoe works in windows so I come here asking if anyone could help me find what can I improve in my install. I've searched the "whole" web for an alternative to the built-in pppoe dialer in Windows and found ONLY two Cidial and Raspppoe which I 'm currently running but no sign of improvement.
    I appreciate any little help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/964081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice