1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PPPoE not connecting on router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by root1609, Oct 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. root1609

root1609 Thread Starter

Hi,
    For many years I had a DSL connection wherein there was a modem provided by the ISP, I had bought a Belkin N150 router which I connected to the model, this router had a dynamic WAN setup and everything worked fine. My ISP was giving me a lot of connectivity problems so I got connection from a different ISP.
    Instead of connection through a phone line, there is a ethernet cable that is coming to my house. If I connect this cable directly to my laptop running windows 8.1 + Norton 360 the connection works fine. All I have to do is that I have to press connect on a dialer that was created to store the username and password given by the ISP.

The problem starts when I want to use the router - I have setup the router with the following options:
    Connection type - PPPoE
    Username - as provided by ISP
    Password - as provided by ISP
    Connection name - <blank>
    IP address - Dynamic
    Disconnect - after 5 minutes of inactivity
    MTU - 1454 (this was default in the router, ISP has not specified anything)

For some reason the router does not pick the WAN IP address, also it keep showing the status as Not connected.

I have tried soft/hard resetting the router
    reconfigure the settings
    Call ISP and they told me the same settings as described above

Can you please help fix the problem

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can we see an ipconfig /all from the connection when direct to the PC

What choices do you have in the connection type ?

3. root1609

root1609 Thread Starter

firstly a correction from my original post, the default MTU settings in the router are 1454.

Now the answers to your questions:

When i connect the Ethernet cable coming from the ISP to my laptop, in the network and sharing centre it shows an unidentified network and shows a APIPA IP address for my system (see attachment 1.jpg).
    After I click connect on the dialer, the network and sharing centre now shows two connections
    1. unidentified network on connection "ethernet"
    2. Broadband connection

And when I check the details of the second connection(broadband) it shows the correct public WAN IP but no MAC address (see attachment 2.jpg).

For your second question, Please see below the options that I get for connection type in router console:

WAN > Connection Type

Select your connection type:
    Dynamic
    A Dynamic type of connection is the most common. If you use a cable modem, then most likely you will have a dynamic connection. If you have a cable modem or you are not sure of your connection type, use this.
    Static
    A Static IP address connection type is less common than others. Use this selection only if your ISP gave you an IP address that never changes.
    PPPoE
    If you use a DSL modem and/or your ISP gave you a User Name and Password, then your connection type is PPPoE. Use this connection type.
    PPTP
    [European Countries Only]. This type of connection is most common in European countries. If your ISP has specifically told you that you use PPTP and has supplied you with the proper PPTP information, then use this option.
    L2TP
    [Israel Only]. This type of connection is most common in Israel. If your ISP has specifically told you that you use L2TP and has supplied you with the proper L2TP information, then use this option.
    Telstra Bigpond/OptusNet Cable
    Use this option for Bigpond Cable and OptusNet Cable connections only.
    Multi-PPPoE
    [Japan Only] This type of connection is a unique function in Japan which is required for those who subscribe NTT's broadband Internet.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      88.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      88.4 KB
      Views:
  4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Possibly the ISP records the MAC address of the first device connected and then allows no other? So, clone the MAC Address of your computer to the router's WAN. The router will have an option for this, either in the WAN (Internet) section or possibly in an "Advanced" or "Utilities" type section.

5. root1609

root1609 Thread Starter

apologies for not mentioning this earlier but I have already tried this step

6. root1609

root1609 Thread Starter

Can you please suggest something else as cloning the MAC is not working

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What is the exact model of the router and modem?

8. MN_N8VTech

MN_N8VTech

Do you have options to adjust the timeout? Im not sure that will make a difference but I dont think it should be 5 min.
    Do you still have the Belkin router? If so, here is a site that explains the settings a bit. Not the best site but I found that with just a quick google search, maybe it will help.
    http://www.voipmechanic.com/belkin-router-pppoe.htm

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1135566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice