1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PPTP password replaces the Windows password

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chimneylooker, Nov 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chimneylooker

chimneylooker Thread Starter

I have a user that has a Windows XP laptop that travels. She connects to our office via PPTP. She has two different passwords. One for the domain and one for the firewall VPN connection. If she gets on the internet and connects to the VPN it connects fine. Shortly after however, she gets locked out in Active Directory. When she re-boots and logs back in the only password that will work is her VPN password. It stays that way until she connects directly to the domain, either from our corporate office or one of our remote offices. The problem that this causes is when she is in outlook, outlook keeps trying to use the password she got into the computer with, which is the VPN password, and it fails enough times to lock her out. I know that I can match the two passwords to be the same but when her domain password expires we would have to change the firewall one as well. We're trying to avoid this and I'm expecting this to happen with more people. Any ideas?

2. gurutech

gurutech

Can the firewall be set to use Windows authentication? RADIUS may work, but if you don't already have a server for that, you would need one.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/518247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice