1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pre-emptive protection...

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Elvandil, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Elvandil

Elvandil Thread Starter

I was going to wait until I had more experience with this app before posting, but it is only free to the home user until Oct. 31, so I thought I should share it now. The app is called Qwik-fix Pro and it is used to "harden" the Windows environment against attacks from outside. It monitors such things as ActiveX and the common routes used by viruses and prevents them from propagating. It has successfully prevented the propagation of many viruses long before virus updates were released by Symantec or Trend-Micro.

Since we know that the only way that Symantec and other AV producers get their information on a new threat is for people to actually succumb to it, at least with this app, you have a chance of protecting your system from attacks even before the virus updates arrive. There is a lot more information on their page and I hope people find it useful. It doesn't appear to use any appreciable system resources.

http://www.pivx.com/qwikfix.asp

2. gracie34

gracie34

Elvandil,

It's been almost a month since you posted this link and I was just curious whether you still used this program?

I guess what I'm looking for is do you think Qwik-Fix is something that should be part of an "I shouldn't be on the Internet without this app running"-routine, like AdAware, Spybot, av, and firewall, etc.?

Let me know if I'm not making sense, I'm not much of a poster-more of a lurker :), but your posts and the TSG site has really helped me out in the past.

Thanks so much,
    Sheli

3. Elvandil

Elvandil Thread Starter

I am still running it but have investigated it very little. Its operations are still mysterious to me. The only reason I posted in the first place was just in case it should prove to be as good as it claimed, there was a limit on its being free.

I have gotten a few emails from them that mention success in blocking new threats that did not even exist when the program was written, but I'm afraid I have not been very thorough in tracking these.

All I can say for certain right now is that it has done absolutely no harm :D.

4. gracie34

gracie34

Thanks for the update. :)
    Sheli

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269067

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice