1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pre-Installed PC Software - how to backup?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by costnowt, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. costnowt

costnowt Thread Starter

First off, here are the results of running the suggested Sysinfo program:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4009 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, 1812 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 225279 MB, Free - 159289 MB;
    Motherboard: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD., RV420/RV520/RV720/E3530/S3530/E3420/E3520
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Disabled

Hello! In June 2012 I purchased a Samsung S3520-A01DX laptop. The laptop came with the operating system and usual filler software pre-installed. It also came with a DVD entitled 'SYSTEM RECOVERY MEDIA - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1' - I'm assuming this is the fully fledged OEM operating system, that I can use to re-install Windows 7 should I need to? I'm aware from my Mother buying a computer in the last few years that they no longer come with the media (DVD'S) to re-install the software should one need to and that it is expected that the purchaser makes copies of the pre-installed software with their own media. This brings me to my question, am I expected to do this and if so how?
    My laptop came pre-installed with Windows 7 and therefore has the Windows 7 'backup and restore' function, is this the software that I'm supposed to use? I also have 'Samsung recovery solution 5' installed as part of a suite of Samsung programs and this seems to have identical tools? In the 'Backup/Restore' chapter of the 'Samsung User Guide' it states that an 'Initial Status Backup' of drive C to a 'secure location' would have been performed when the computer was initially turned on after purchase. I have some vague recollection of registering Windows, but can't recall if this was done? I'm not sure where to look to see if it was done? On clicking the 'Computer' icon on the desktop, I can see that there appears to be a 'Microsoft Office Click-to-Run 2010 (Protected) (Q)' partition - could this be the initial status backup?
    I basically want a copy of the initial status of the computer, so I have a choice of reinstating it back to it's factory condition at a later date (possibly for selling). This makes sense to me, as I want to uninstall some of the filler software that the computer came with. I am aware that I am running the computer possibly without any virus protection :eek: (the trialware expired) but don't want to replace it, in case it is needed for the initial status backup? :confused:

I'm aware computer professionals are always telling people that they must backup their computers and I'm trying to do the right thing here, please help?

D

2. ETech7

ETech7

Microsoft Office Click-to-Run 2010 (Protected) - has nothing to do with backup.
    That should be able to bring you back to the factory condition including all the preinstalled software.
    For backup you can use Windows 7 built in feature or buy third party software, like ShadowProtect, Acronis, or others.

3. costnowt

costnowt Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply :) I've just done a search on the DVD for some of the programs that came pre-installed and I can't find any of them, so I'm not sure if the disc does contain the pre-installed software?

4. ETech7

ETech7

How did you search the DVD? Those preinstalled programs should be imbedded into Windows installation image.
    Can you find WMP on Windows 8 DVD?

5. costnowt

costnowt Thread Starter

I don't have Windows 8? :confused: Short of installing from the Windows 7 DVD, is there anyway of telling if it contains the additional programs? I searched via Windows explorer. Also, how can I tell if an initial status backup has been done?

6. ETech7

ETech7

It doesn't matter whether you have windows 7 or 8 or Vista DVD. What I'm trying to say that you can't see from Explorer what software is included with your OS. You can not install just IE, or WMP, or Windows DVD Maker from OS installation media, but that doesn't mean they will not be installed with Windows.
    Recovery media which was provided to you with your PC should (and on my memory always does) include all preinstalled software, otherwise it will not be factory state if upon recovery you missed something that was there when the PC was just bought.

7. ttifrum

ttifrum

If you have received a restore disc with the laptop it will include all the installed software that was on the computer when you bought it. the other good thing about Samsung is that it creates a system image of the hard drive the first time you boot it up, to access it all you need to do is run the Samsung Recovery solution 5 software and follow the prompts, it is one of the fastest recovery setups I've come across and will probably take a max of 15 minutes to run; unlike some other manufacturers that actually reinstall the operating system and then the drivers and then the supplied software which can take up to 2 hours or more.

8. costnowt

costnowt Thread Starter

@ETech7, thanks for the reply. I hope I didn't antagonise you? The questions I ask are asked in all honesty and I am grateful for your reply :)

@ttifrum, thankyou for replying. As I said in my first post,

I have spent at least half the day looking into and around this and one of the things I learnt amongst others is that 'Initial Status Backup' (restore partition) is often hidden. However I would still like to check to see if an 'Initial Status Backup' backup was done - does anyone know how to do this?

Also, one of the posts I read on a forum seems to suggest that the restore partition and the system restore disc are identical. If this is the case, is it ok to get rid of the restore partition?

Thanks again everyone :)

9. ttifrum

ttifrum

The recovery disc that Samsung supply and the recovery image that is created when you first boot the system are not the same, the hard drive recovery image includes all your setup information including your user name from the initial boot, for instance if your user name is Fred, then if you need to run the built in recovery when you boot the system it will still be Fred, if you boot to the supplied recovery disc it will be like starting from scratch and you will need to create a new user. Hope this is useful. The other thing is, is there any need to get rid of the partition, on a 250gb hard drive the amount of space required for the image probably won't be any more than about 5% of the drive.

10. costnowt

costnowt Thread Starter

Based on what you said ttifrum (if I've understood correctly) and from my memory (poor) ;) of having done it before, it would be no great hardship to install from the recovery disc as opposed to the recovery partition - just fill in a couple of dialogue boxes of user info, is this correct. But I take your point that in my case, if I were to delete this partition I wouldn't be gaining a huge ammount - perhaps later if and when the HDD starts to fill up?

Finally, this brings me to one of the questions posed in my original post and repeated in my last post, ie,

Thanks again

11. Simba7

Simba7

Those programs are built into Windows 7 from the base install.

Most restore discs have the proper software to restore the system back to when it left the factory. I would suggest burning a set of them to restore the laptop.
    Also, most restore discs restore the partition structure.. so erasing and creating your own partitions won't work.

12. costnowt

costnowt Thread Starter

Hello! Thankyou for your reply. (y) Now I'm really confused. :confused: Based on what I've been told before, I already have a restore disc and a restore partition. Now if I'm understanding you right you're suggesting I burn some more restore discs as well? :confused: I'm sorry if I've misunderstood - it's difficult getting the gist of what we mean sometimes, using this method communication (forums) :)

D

13. costnowt

costnowt Thread Starter

14. ETech7

ETech7

Exactly, as well as OEM junk, but you cant browse the DVD and see those programs there, nevertheless they are there. That was the point.

15. Simba7

Simba7

Yes.. Create the rescue disc set. The disc that came with the computer is probably just the OS since there is no way all those programs and the OS can fit on one disc, unless it is a Dual Layer disc.. and even that is iffy.

Usually, when you build your restore discs, there should be 3-4 of them. Some use more, but I've never seen less.

Unfortunately, ETech7 is right. You can't select which software you want to reinstall. The software on the discs are meant for a factory reinstall.. that means it puts everything back on that was installed at the factory. I, personally, dislike these discs due to the extra crapware installed and the usable software is a trial version. Also, NIS can be a pain in the butt to get rid of.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090446

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice