1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pre-Loaded Toshiba Software: Should I remove it?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by JSho24, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JSho24

JSho24 Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba NB505 netbook. I need all the space and performance I can get, and it seems like I don't use ANY of these pre-installed Toshiba programs:

Toshiba Disc Creator
    Toshiba Eco Utility (Power saver, I do use)
    Toshiba Flash Card Reader Utility (I have no idea)
    Toshiba Hardware Setup
    Toshiba HDD/SDD alert
    Toshiba Media Controller
    Toshiba Quality Application
    Toshiba Recovery Media Creator
    Toshiba ReelTime
    Toshiba Service Station
    Toshiba Supervisor Password
    Toshiba Value Added Package
    Toshiba Webcam Software ( I do use )

Should I remove any of these? Are they okay and safe to remove? If so, which ones should I keep?
    Thanks.

2. Bolweevil

Bolweevil

You should be able to remove any Toshiba branded applications you have no plans to use without any adverse side-effects. Many (but not necessarily all) of the things those programs do can be accomplished with standard Windows features/functions. It would be a good idea to double check what each thing on the list does before you remove it, just in case.

Although, as far as performance goes, unless these things are running in the background, you're not likely to get any performance gains from uninstalling them, just a little more space on the HDD.

3. JSho24

JSho24 Thread Starter

Well I have never seen any of these programs in use, but I will definitely look into the ones that I don't know about to see if it's okay to uninstall them.
    I know they won't give me much of a performance boost, but, why keep something there that I never use? I need all the space I can get on this little PC, ya know?

Thank you for your quick response.

4. zbd21

zbd21

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Take a good look at them. They don't really use much space and many I have found to be very useful. At least as far as the "junk" that usually comes with new machines, I haven't found the Toshiba add-ons to be very intrusive. The "flash-card" thing is their new Help system set up in a new and original way, and really has nothing to do with flash cards as you probably think of them.

When I installed 7 on my machine, I found myself re-installing most of the Toshiba programs before I was done since they really were useful.

Fact is, if removing those items gives you needed space, you need a bigger drive.

6. JSho24

JSho24 Thread Starter

7. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

From what I can determine, the Toshiba Mini NB505 netbook comes with Windows 7 Starter Edition, 1 GB of RAM, and a 250 GB hard drive.

With a 250 GB hard drive, you shouldn't have a problem at all with lack of storage space, unless you load it with video clips, sound clips, etc..

It supports up to 2 GB of RAM, but I believe you first need to upgrade it to Windows 7 Home Premium.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1002320