1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pre-POST failure. no beep, sys doesn't go to POST

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stars1234, Jun 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stars1234

stars1234 Thread Starter

Sys: W2K, SP4; IE6, 512megs SDRAM, 1.2 gig AMD Athlon CPU, ECS K7SEM mobo, Award 6 Bios.

Problem: Upon system startup, power comes on, but nothing else--no beep to indicated the system has entered POST. After several tries, it will finally beep and the harware will come to life.

Once working it will usually keep working as you'd normally expect as power cycle to work. It's mainly after sever hours of being off and now always, over night that the error occurs--no power to the hardware, until several tries.

History: Recently been hit with many Trojans & viruses. They've made it past my NAT router, past my software firewall and have taken apart my McAfee AV program. But they have been contained, before they could do any damage, so I hoped, except I just got a bounced email yesterday, that shows I have been spoofed and my address book copied and is being sent to. So a Trojan got in.

I have SpyBot S&D, Ad-aware, McAfee VS8, two firewalls going. I have cleaned all the viruses/Trojans off the system, out of the registry with S&D, Ad-Aware, VS8, Trendmicros VS and Pandasofts VS programs. As well as using CWShreeder, MRU Blaster, BHO removers, HiJackThis.

The system is clean. no hidden files, every thing ok. It doesn't seem to be an OS problem.

A week ago, my power supply went out.
    I replaced it.
    It's since replacing it and getting all the viurs/trojan hits that the problem has begun.

I thought it might be the new PS, so I put in another, but still, the same problem.

I've taken component after component out of the system to see if that makes any difference.--removed my optical drives, removed my HDD, removed my floppy & replaced it, just in case.

Put in new Cables. Attached a different monitor, with diferent cables, pulled up a backup of C drive and tried it in case something was wrong there.

Nothing has helped. Still no beep letting the system go to POST, no lights on the HDD or Floppy, but all fans are running, temps are nominal.

One time, after everything was out of the system, I finally got it to come on and tried to boot with a DOS boot in the floppy. It was completely misread--saying no config file, no command ... Put the same disk in another w2k sys and it booted perfectly.

Now, though, the bad system will boot from the floppy, once it gets into POST.

Since then I have reinstalled each device, reconfiguring the BIOS to accept a new install (resetting the ESCD each time.) but that didn't help.

I also took out the keyboard & mouse, expecting to get a beep or error code on that. But still the sys. would just power up and hang--no lights to anything, until after the fourth -seventh try. Then it'd start and I'd get the expected errors or if everything is back in the system, it works fine.

So all Hardware seems to be ok. All cables seem to be ok. The PS is ok, since I swapped it and got the same results.

I did notice that my system battery clock is running slow.

I check the BIOS, it looked ok.
    I tried a few changes and told it to save, which it did.

But when the failure occured, I found the BIOS had retruned to the way it was before I made changes.

I tried using the BIOS in fail-safe and optimum modes--still no change.

Could it be a BIOS problem? One of the viruses got to it or when the PS went out, it did something to it and I need to reflash it? That's scarry though, because I never know when the error may occur and it may happen while I'm trying to execute a BIOS flash.

The only things I haven't pulled are the CPU & memory. But I don't have replacements for those to see if they are bad.

The other possibility is that I've lost the mobo, but i don't have a way to test it.

What do I try now, other than getting a new system? Oh, I've also taken the components & mobo out and tried to run it with them out of the box--same problem.

Thanks,
    Bob

2. dai

dai

3. stars1234

stars1234 Thread Starter

Thanks.
    i'll get a new battery & try the mem test. But I think it's going to be worse than that.

A couple of days ago, I tried booting & finally got it to come up and when it did, it showed windows being loaded, but never reached the splash screen.

Instead, the video on went black and the system re-booted. It went into a re-boot loop. And stayed there.

I could access Safe Mode, but as soon as it started to load, the re-boot loop sarted again.

I did definitely determine I have a bad floppy, so I exchanged that.
    For somereason that let me boot for a short time.

I tried throug the computer management screen on boot to get into the system and do run a repair, but it didn't work right and just kept throwing me into WINNT, with no choices.

That eventually stopped and I was back to the re-boot loop.

With the floopy, I successfully to DOS, but only after resetting the BIOS to it's fail safe mode.

At that point, I grabbed an image of C drive and restored it.
    Now, after about five times trying to restart and wiggling the power connections, IDE connectors, it will come on again.

So, I'll get the battery, but I think something else is going on. --to be stuck in a re-boot loop like it was, should tell me something. And as I said, I ran every every AV test, AV program, rescue disks, I could get my hands on but all show my system to be clean.

Any other ideas---or try the battery first? --What about clearing the CMOS? or reflashing? I suppose at this point, it couldn't hurt?

Bob

I thought Sasser Worm. But can't find any evidence, using any of the AV programs I have. I tried different BIOS settings--still re-boot loop.

Also, I could not access Windows safe mode.

Sounds bleak--something really wrong.

Finally, I got it to boot to DOS & could get to an image of C, put that on and it got into Windows, but to get it to go, I had to reset the BIOS to minimum configuration--

I replaced the bad floopy. But I still have the problem of not making it to post. It will, after I wiggle all the cables about five times.

4. dai

dai

have you another p/s you can put or can you borrow one to run a check
    check the power plug at the m/b

5. amnent

amnent

Try replacing the power on switch. It sounds as if this is the faulty component.

6. dai

dai

you can just short the pins to check the switch

7. stars1234

stars1234 Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. You're great :eek: You hit it--PS problem (but?):

I replaced the battery & I'm still loosing 3 mins./day. So, something else is going on.

After my first post, with a lot of toggeling of power switches on the case and on the PS, I could get the sys to load Windows 2000, but before it could bring up the splash screen, it rebooted.

It was in a reboot loop & unable to get out of it. (Sasser worm?)

I finally got a backup of "C" restored through DOS and it briefly made it through POST. I reset all my BIOS to the "fail safe" mode. That seemed to help.

Shortly after that though, the reboot loop stopped, and all I had was the PS fan going when I powered up.

Opening the case, I found that when I turned on the power, my CPU fan began to run, then immediately shut down. I pulled everything out of the system, trying to find the problem.

The mobo was sitting on a sheet of paper, the PS connected, the CPU in, memory out, and the front case switch, connected.

Still the same thing: on, then immediately off--like a PS cutoff was kicking in.

I connected a different PS & up it came and went through POST! --which was strange since I had just installed a new PS a week earlier, after the old one concked out.

I tried a third PS I had, and the same thing--power and the system POSTed.

Back to the old PS: on, immediate shut-down. I flipped the 110 v switch over to the 220 setting and up the system came, so evidently something was wrong in the 110 circuity of the PS?

I took that PS back and asked for a new one. But they tested it and it tested "good." After a bit of telling them I didn't care how it tested, I wanted a new one, they gave me one.

I installed the new PS and right away, everything worked, POST, and the hardware that I thought was shot came to life too.

:confused: After the system had been OFF for a while, I turned it on and nothing again.

No POST beep. My monitor was off.

I thought maybe the monitor being off might have something to do with it. I switched the monitor on, hit the system power button , and sure enough, up it came.

So, as strange as it seems, it must have something to do with the monitor being on/off. (but if so, I think there's still something going on--shouldn't it at least post with errors if there is no monitor found?)

Today, I turned the monitor on before starting, hit the power switch and --nothing!

But the PS fan was going--but no POST beep, no nothing again.

However, on the second try, the system came up. It seems that it will start, only after the first try has failed. So the monitor needing to be on theory is a bust.

I flashed the BIOS again, just in case. But that made no difference.

I don't want to burn out the new PS. I wonder if when the first one went down, it took something with it on the mobo?

IDEAS? (Think I need a new mobo? That's the only thing I can think of--the BIOS is shot or something is shorting?)

Thanks,
    Bob

8. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

I would clear the CMOS using the jumper. If problems still persist I would suspect the memory. If you have more than one stick installed remove both sticks then try the system with one stick at a time. (Remember to check your manual to see if the single memory stick has to be in a certain slot.) If you have only one 512MB stick, I would suggest trying a new stick or a borrowed one of the correct type.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

You might also eliminate the tower push button switch as the problem by disconnecting it from the mobo and momentarily shorting the two pins where it normally connects.

9. stars1234

stars1234 Thread Starter

Thanks,

I'll try to find a way to check the memory.

I only have one stick of 512, I'll see if I can't scare something up someplace.

If it is the memory, is there any software that will isolate bad bits as you can do with an HDD?

If not, it's time for a new mobo anyway, but I'm going to have to buy DDR mem, a mobo and maybe a new AMD processor, unless my 200 FSB Athlon will work.

Thanks.
    Bob

10. stars1234

stars1234 Thread Starter

I tried another stick of RAM. I reinstalled Windows 2000.

Same problem.

I turn system on with the front case switch, after being off for an hour or so and there is no POST. All is black but the fans (PS & CPU) run. It's as if there no power to the hardware other than the fans or the BIOS simply is not working--as if it is asleep?

I immediately turn system off with the front case switch, then back on and it comes up. Full POST, nice Award BIOS beep to tell me things have started.

Anthing left other than the CPU (which I can't test) or the mobo?

Bob

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

My bet is on the motherboard.

12. dai

dai

it still seems like the power supply is the one that you swapped in big enough,second m/b check the connection for any discoloured pins

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!