1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pre-Post Reboot Loop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pmcbryde, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pmcbryde

pmcbryde Thread Starter

i just built a new system today, specs as follows:
    ASUS P5K-E WiFi/AP
    Intel q9300
    4gb G-Skill DDR2800
    evga 8800GT 512mb
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    FSP 600W PSU
    2xWestern Digital 500gb SATA HDD
    1xWestern Digital 160gb SATA HDD
    2xPioneer DVD-R/RW

I installed Vista Home Premium 64bit Edition, and ran for a few hours and worked on installing drivers, old documents and such, etc. I restarted multiple times during the installations without problem, and copied ~200gb of files onto my harddrives. On the fateful reboot, I'm fairly certain I had just rebooted after attempting an unsuccessful BIOS update through the ASUS utility (though it's possible that I hadn't rebooted until then), at which point the computer went into an infinite restart loop (straight from the Windows restart, I changed nothing between those times) that happens BEFORE it POSTs (roughly 4 seconds after the power is turned on) and before the harddrives or video card spin up, so I'm thinking that there's an issue with the BIOS firmware. I cleared the BIOS RAM (removed the battery, switched the jumper, but both back), but that didn't help. I haven't seen anything about this issue on Google, so I come to the forum. There are no odd sounds or anything, it's just like it turns on and shuts down within 4 seconds. I've let it sit for ~5 minutes hoping it would work itself out, and it does the same thing over and over. All the components are brand new, which makes me doubt that it's hardware failure. Any ideas, or any way that I can do a more..."hard" reset of the BIOS? I really appreciate any help you can give, I've been looking forward to building this computer for months, and it's just cruel how it worked for half a day and then decided to die, haha.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you may or may not be in luck. Asus boards have what is called crash free bios. The bios has the ability to restore itself from either a floppy or the support CD.

First of all read your manual as to the detailed method of restoring your bios. When I do this, I pull power from ALL drives except the one that I am using to do the restore ie floppy or CD.

I have done this twice and once it worked and once it did not. So give it a try and see what happens. If the restore does not work, then you need to replace the bios chip.

FWIW do not update the bios unless there is a reason to do so ie support for new cpu, bios update addresses a problem you are having, etc.

Next do not use the windows based update. Use either a floppy or some asus boards will update from the bios menu ie they have the flash utility built into the bios.

3. Ziggy587

Ziggy587

If the Asus BIOS restore doesn't work...

When you used the jumper to clear, did you leave the computer on for a minute or two? I've read in a few mobo manuals that it says to leave the computer running for a minute or two and then shut down and replace the jumper in the correct position.

If none of this works, I would try and replace the motherboard asap, that i, if its under a warranty from where ever you got it.

4. pmcbryde

pmcbryde Thread Starter

Does that work if it doesn't actually GET to the BIOS yet, though? I'm going to try later when I don't have class, but there's an issue in that I don't have a floppy drive in this new build as I didn't have room. As to the BIOS update, I did need it to get it to fully recognize the q9300 (which was released a couple of weeks ago)

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Never clear cmos with the system running.
    To correctly clear cmos or rtc.
    1 Unplug the system
    2 Push the pw ON button 2~3 times to remove any residual charge from the pw supply caps.
    3 Open the case and move the jumper to the clear position for a min of 30sec
    4 Replace jumper, close system, replace power cord.
    5 Pw ON the system and enter the bios. Load defaults, save settings, and restart.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Read your manual. You can restore the bios from your support CD. It has the original shipping bios on it. The manual will explain how to do this task in detail. The bios has an area that is not accessible to the flash. That is where it will read the CD/floppy and complete the flash. Again read your manual.

7. pmcbryde

pmcbryde Thread Starter

I tried the "let it sit longer" thing which didn't work, and now I'm just going to RMA the board. According to ASUS tech support there's a 10-15% chance that an update will corrupt the BIOS, which seems to be what happened, so they're going to ship me a new board with the updated BIOS. It's a pain in the ***, but as long as they'll do it rather quick I'm not too pissed.

8. Ziggy587

Ziggy587

I've been reading more and more about the risk of updating the BIOS, I've never heard of this until now.
    :eek: Oh wow. I read to do it that way, wish I had the link. I cleared the cmos on two motherboards the way I said, guess I'm lucky not to have damaged boards, huh?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice