1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pre-teen installed unknown program?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by wildbill2u, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wildbill2u

wildbill2u Thread Starter

Hi:
    Not even sure if this is the right place. My pre-teen cousin installed WINAMP on my mother's computer.
    1. Is this a legal program? Is it any good? Does it cost anything monthly?

2. Now The sound on her computer doesn't work. I get an error message from NullSoft. "bad direct sound driver. PLEASE INSTALL Proper drivers OR SELECT another device in configuration." Error Code 887800A

Anything yu can tell me about this or how to fix will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks. wildbill

2. Sponsor

3. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

not sure how to fix your problem, its been years since I've used WinAmp. But rest easy it is a legal program, its free (well at least the free version is) but there is also a pro version which costs 19.95 USD, to my knowledge there is no monthly fees involved with it

4. t bone

t bone

go to add/remove programs and remove it....see if the sound comes back.

5. RevisionZero

RevisionZero

If it all sound completely, uninstalling it should do the trick. However is sound is still not working correctly. Just go to Start --> Program Files --> Accessories --> System Tools --> System restore, and go back a day or so, just a point before the install. Then restore and you should be set.

However if the sound problem is only while you are using Winamp, like to listen to music and for example when you click play you get a error just go to the winamp settings, and look for a sound device choice and select AC90/Realktek/Soundmax or something similar which generally are your sound cards.

Hope this helps

6. wildbill2u

I've uninstalled winamp with no results.

My device driver shows the following:

1.audio codecs --enabled and properly working

2. c-media AC97 sudio devices (had the yellow marker)--it is not working properly. I've updated the driver with no result. I uninstalled and reinstalled with no result. I don't have it installed currently.

3. Legacy audio drivers--enabled and workling properly

4.legacy video capture devices--enabled and working properly

Re restore point: I don't know where to find a restore point because it is my mother's computer and I live in another town and don[t know when it went out.

5. unimodem full duplex audio device-enabled and working properly

6/ media control devices -enabled and working properly

7. video codecs enabled and working properly

On another window I found when trouble shooting i found audio playback was using modem#0 line playback. I don['t know if this means anything.

Windows media player won't play audio. Says can't play because there is a problem with sound device, might not have a sound device installed or a conflict, or might not be functioning properly.

re restore point: I hhave no idea when this problem occurred since it is my mother's computer.

Hope this is of some use

7. dannyn

dannyn

winamp is completely legal and free..
    i use it all the time
    but it does have adult content on it.

8. wildbill2u

Thanks. The winamp is gone so that isn't the problem.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703747