1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Predefined Print Screen Image Quality

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Telstar, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Telstar

Telstar Thread Starter

Hope I'm in the right Forum for this.

Windows XP Home
    IE6/Firefox0.8 Browsers
    ScreenPrint32 v3.5
    UploadIt! for Image Hosting
    Dell Picture Studio Image Expert for Image Editing

Whenever I capture and save a pre-defined screen area image using ScreenPrint32 I am not entirely happy with the image quality.

[​IMG]

Notice the "white spots" or "speckling" that surround most of the text as seen here in this unedited version:

I use Dell Picture Studio's Image Expert to edit my pix and again I mention that the image above is unedited or resized it's 1:1....this condition exists when I first view the image after saving into Image Expert and prior to using UploadIt! So, it would have nothing to do with the UploadIt! Image Hosting process.

If I want to resize the image from, in this case, 792x143 Pixels down to a more practical 492x87 Pixels size for Forum Thread viewing, the image quality and text clarity/sharpness is even more deformed as shown in the following image.
    Here I simply resized the image:

[​IMG]

How can I optimize the image quality?
    Switch to an alternate Image Editor?

Thanks for any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

Regards,
    Telstar

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Telstar:
    Can I be honest? Without the benefit of seeing the real thing, I see that image as being DAMN clear. Nice.

But try my favorite anyway: SnagIt from www.techsmith.com
    At least you can try it for free.

3. hewee

hewee

I have and love the FREE MWSnap.
    http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html

But it will not not matter what or how you get your screen shots if the program you using is compressing a jpg that you save. So check your options to see it it is compress the images. Also jpg is a very bad format. You would get better images saving them as .png if you want to keep the file size down.
    With MWSnap I can take my screen shot and from the program copy it to what ever image program I want and then save it from there if I want to.

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

hewee is right on track. The spots you are seeing are called " jpg-artifacts". They result from the compression of the jpg format. The amout of compression is adjustable on most programs though.
    What other format to use will depened upon where you intend to use these pics. Many websites will only allow jpg or gif. For a simple graphic like that it will look fine as a gif image. Gifs tend to start looking bad where an image needs to look like a photograph. They loose the subtlty of real life objects and shades but for simple blocks and letters like the shot you posted they will look fine.

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Good thing these guys know what they're talking about.
    It's obvious I don't!!
    :)

6. Telstar

Telstar Thread Starter

Oh yeah! you folks are good...real good! ;)

Check out the latest result.....
    [​IMG]

Quote:
    "Also jpg is a very bad format."
    Quote:
    "hewee is right on track"
    Quote:
    "The spots you are seeing are called " jpg-artifacts".
    Quote:
    "Many websites will only allow jpg or gif"
    Quote:
    "You would get better images saving them as .png"

Ok, you raised a few excellent points that set me in the right direction.
    First of all, I saved a new screen-print as a .png and when I tried uploading it to UploadIt! I was told that it only accepted .jpg.
    Now I remember why I always saved as .jpg

Next step, I went to an alternate site I use....Ripway Image Host and successfully uploaded to that site. The result is what you see above.
    Now that's what I'm talkin about!

I'm going to check out your other suggestions and upload sites (hewee's MWSnap for one).

@ DREAMBOAT: I'm also going to checkout your suggestion of SnagIt and thanks for your reply, your's was the first.

I'll absorb everything and if I have more questions or issues I'll use this same thread.

My problem was actually two-part. The second part was to see why I lost image quality when I "resized" the image. I'll check that out saving as a .png also and see if I get the same quality result as my posted image above.

Thank you all, great job! (y)
    Telstar

7. Telstar

Telstar Thread Starter

Ok, I resized the original from 774 Pixels down to 474 with this result.
    I used Dell Image Expert 2000 and I saved it as a .png at Ripway Web Host.

[​IMG]

Seems to me the definition could be sharper and the text more readable, much like this full-sized version.
    Or am I asking for too much from a resized pic?

[​IMG]

Any ideas for improvement?
    Thanks,
    Telstar

8. Telstar

Telstar Thread Starter

hewee....I downloaded the MWSnap v3.00.0.74.
    You're right! This is one nifty little Program. It's got some terrific features not found on my ScreenPrint32.

Thanks for the tip!
    Telstar :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!