Preference of network connections

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

turak

Hello All,

I need a little help with my network. I have 2 routers;

Router A:wireless linksys with an internet connection
Router B:the other is old and supports only wired connections and it does not connect to the internet

I just want to use for file sharing with my old desktop that does not have wireless card. So right now, the only way I can browse with my wireless connection is by disabling my LAN connection. However, when I have both connections enabled, the browser checks for internet connectivity with the LAN and since there is none on Router B it does not allow me to browse even though I am still connected to the wireless.

I want to be able to use the wireless connection for connecting to the internet and at the same time be connected to my LAN. Is there some way to specify the order of the internet connection in the browser? All I see are settings for proxy in the firefox.

Thanks in advance.

Turak

do you have a wireless adsl modem?

if you do u can simply use ur main pc as normal running the wirless and you can connect you other comp to the same box using an ethernet cable

turak

I don't have the ADSL modem. And I need to use the Router B because there are some other systems connected to that too.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Connect the two routers together. In essence you will make the wired router to be a switch and work with your wireless router.

As Quoted from JohnWill

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

turak

Thanks Squashman but it is not possible to connect both the routers due to the locations. Is there some other windows setting that can be tweaked.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
turak said:
Thanks Squashman but it is not possible to connect both the routers due to the locations.
Why, where are they located?

turak

Well the routers are in separate apartments. The wireless router A is in my brother's apartment and router B is in mine. Both apartments are in the same building, but it is not possible to run cable across.

Thanks,

Turak

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
You might be able to setup a Network Bridge on your computer to solve the problem. Open up Windows Help and search for Create network bridge.

Your other option would be to buy another wireless router for your apartment and bridge the two wiress routers together.

turak

After going through the Windows Help, I tried to bridge the existing LAN and wireless connections on my machine but it did not work. Secondly, when you say bridge the wireless routers how can that be done without making use of wires. I have Linksys G router model # F5D7230-4.

I don't have an internet connection in my apartment and I want to be able to share my brother's internet connection without losing the file sharing ability provided to me by Router B.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Alot of the newer SOHO wireless routers have the option to bridge two wireless networks together. you would have the check the specs on your wireless routers.

Someone had this same issue you were talking about a couple of weeks ago. They created a wireless bridge and it solved their problem. I will see if I can find the thread again.

turak

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Please let me know if you are able to get access to that thread.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online