1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Preferred DNS-Server configuration

Discussion in 'Networking' started by seashell, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seashell

seashell Thread Starter

Jun 22, 2003
    I am trying to dedicate a selected ip adress to my pc (winxp)
    but I have no idea which DNS-Server adress I have to enter.

My problem: Upon startup WinXP takes about 60 seconds to get an ip-adress from my netgear router. During that, the taskbar freezes, resulting in different programmes (e.g. Antivir) not to load properly to the taskbar.
    Therefore I want to select the ip manually. I have reserved that ip-adress in the router's menu and have entered the ip + subnetmask + gateway(router), what is missing is the DNS-Server. - What to enter there?

And do I have to unselect the router as DHCP-server? If I do, what for do I have to reserve the ip-adress of the pc then in the router menu? Makes no sense to me.

And while I am writing, I have another problem with the router: It is too fast.
    Router and DSL-Modem are on one power source, when I switch them on, the router tries to send the internet connection data (username+password) before it is ready ( seems like it need some time to start). Result: no internetconnection established. I have to reset the router manually after a minute or so, and then it gets a connection when it started again. Any idea how to solve that?
  2. awatson

Jan 29, 2008
    For your DNS problem - try using the opendns DNS servers, I've had no problems with them - set your TCP/IP properties to use the IP you want, then use the IP addresses opendns specify on their website: and
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/712098