1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Prefetch Folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ArtVandalay, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ArtVandalay

ArtVandalay Thread Starter

As I understand it, cleaning out the Prefetch Folder in Windows XP is part of the regular maintenance, along with defragging, running checkdisk, etc.

It was also my understanding that any necessary files would be recreated. Well, I cleared out the contents of the Prefetch Folder 4 days ago (it was over 5 MB in size) and the folder is still empty.

Since that day, I have noticed that certain startup programs are slower to load (e.g., Norton System Works, ZoneAlarm), so it obviously makes a difference.

Suggestions, anyone??

Thanx

2. JenniferLore

JenniferLore Banned

Suggestions for what??

Windows uses the prefetch folder for several reasons. One is to shorten booting times by catching common startup program information.

3. ArtVandalay

I guess I was a little vague......what I meant was, shouldn't there be some prefetch files in the folder again by now? (its still empty). According to what I've read, the Windows automatically recreates the files.

4. ArtVandalay

Apparently, the Task Scheduler service must be running......the prefetch folder is starting to be repopulated now.

5. missfuffy

missfuffy

I note that a user explaing that (s)he has removed the files from prefetch. I would like to know how to do that. In addition,
    I would like to know if I can remove the logs from Norton's
    Personal Firewall.

It seems to me that these 2 areas are filling up my file numbers.
    Several months ago, I had about 78,000 files when I checked the number of files which Norton AV had scanned. Shortly after that the number climbed to 90,00 etc.

Yesterday the number of files jumped to almost 102 files. I think
    there is something wrong here but, I do not know how to get rid of these great numbe of files.

OS windows XP home, Dell, 8250, 512 MB RDRAM , 60 GB Ultra
    ATA /100 Hard Drive @ 7200Rpm.... Someone please help.. I am looking to get rid of at least 30 thousand files....
    thank you.......... missfuffy

6. ArtVandalay

Simply delete the files in the C:\Windows\Prefetch folder (not the folder itself). You can delete all of them; Windows will recreate the files gradually. If for some reason you don't feel confident about deleting the files, try this tool from http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2495 .

Most log files are safe to remove. However, you seem to be overly concerned about the number of files in your system. Depending on what software you have installed, 90,000 files on your hard drive is not unusual. Also, with a 60 GB hard drive, that amount should not hinder the system's performance.

If you really want to delete some files, start with .tmp & .old.

I hope this has helped....

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!