1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Prefetch!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Stingray10, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stingray10

Stingray10 Thread Starter

Should this folder be cleaned periodically?If so is there a safe way to do it.Thanks.

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Prefetching periodically cleans out old data automatically.

3. Stingray10

So it is safe to delete the contents of this folder?:p

4. KeyesZX

KeyesZX

Yes, but I believe you'll experience a little degraded performance until it repopulates. That's at least what I have learned. I did it once with KillBox ;).

5. Stingray10

Is there a cleaner that will do this for me?

6. KeyesZX

KeyesZX

As brendandonhu said, Windows does it for you. Why would you want to do it yourself? If you really wanted to, you could just go to C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch and delete the items in there, I think.

7. Stingray10

If windows cleans it i'll leave it at that.Thanks for the answers.(y)

8. Mastertech

Mastertech

There is no reason to clean the folder, Windows cleans this automatically at 128 entries. If you clean the folder Windows and all your applications will take longer to load. The folder is also very small in size. XP Myths

9. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

"CCleaner" will routinely do it, but the item in the menu should be UNCHECKED. As noted, the Prefetch folder should be left alone.
    {redoak}

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    There are those who say don't clean the Prefetch.
    There are those who say clean the Prefetch.
    I've tried the Prefetch both ways ... and can't tell any difference.

If you let CCleaner clean the Prefetch ... It'll remove entries older that 2 weeks.
    I figure this is a good compromise between the two arguments.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I figure the "massive" 5.2 megs of stuff that's currently in my Prefetch folder isn't much of a burden, cleaning appears to be a waste of time. ;) FWIW, I've never done anything to the Prefetch folder...

PS: The oldest file in there appears to be from 9/2/06, so it's not like someone isn't sweeping up the place. :D

12. Mastertech

Mastertech

All of which are members of the Microsoft Windows Client performance Team and Mark Russinovich and Ed Bott.

Which is ridiculous because you should not delete a prefetch file for an application you still have installed unless you want it to load slower the next time you launch. If the NTFS last access date is disabled than CCleaner will delete all you prefetch files each time you run it, which is completely ridiculous. The folder is self cleaning at 128 entries.

13. clmowers

clmowers

Bottom line You will not improve Windows performance by cleaning out the Prefetch folder. You will, in fact, degrade Windows performance by cleaning out the Prefetch folder. Also it will only just recreate the data that is in there and for that time its doing that, You will have a slower pc. Just dont do it. It may be a decent size foler but you are not gaining any performance by doing so and 10 mb of HD space or so is not worth having a slower pc.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice