1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Preloaded Software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ken278, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ken278

ken278 Thread Starter

My new HP computer came with a number of preloaded software packages. Norton Internet Security is one of those and I do not believe I want that program at this time. However every time I turn on my computer I get a dialog box that asks me if I want to load the software. I keep saying no but I would like to eliminate this pesky pop up dialog box and not deal with it any more. Is there a way to do this or do I have to go to Add/Remove software in the Control Panel and completely remove the software. It takes up about 65mb but I may want to try it later. However the pop up is such an annoyance to me I would eliminate all of it if I had to if there was no other way to stop it. (I have Trend Micro Antivirus and Spy Sweeper already in use)
    Thanks

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

check here Go start>>Run type msconfig and in the new window click on Starup tab and look in the list to see if it is mentioned....if it is then uncheck it then click OK

3. ken278

ken278 Thread Starter

Tried the msconfig but nothing in there that looks like Norton Internet Security.
    Any other suggestion? Thanks for your help

4. bonk

bonk Banned

If we can see your startup list would help.

Here's how

Download Hijack This to your desktop
    Open it and click on the Hijack.exe it will open and use the default path
    Check do you wish an Icon.......
    Click on Icon and choose Open Misc Tools Section
    Then at the top Click on Generate a Startup list.... it will open in notepad

Copy & Paste it in your next reply

5. ken278

ken278 Thread Starter

Doesn't say do you wish an icon just asks what I want to do with about five choices.
    Sorry to seem so ignorant but am always kind of shaky about opening things I
    do not understand.
    Ken

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

7. ken278

ken278 Thread Starter

I just want the pop up dialog box asking if I want to install to stop popping up at start up.
    I want to leave the ability to install this software in the future to remain. Thanks.

8. ferrija1

ferrija1

9. golferbob

golferbob

10. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

You can completely remove NOrtON and reinstall at a later time if you like through application recovery in PC Tools under the start menu. You can do this with any pre-loaded program from HP.

11. ken278

ken278 Thread Starter

Thanks, I did remove it and if I want it in the future, I will use PC Tools as you suggest.

12. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

You're welcome.
    NOrtON isn't that user friendly in my opinion. Knowing nothing, I took its advice about not allowing something, then I couldn't play the game I wanted to play.

Going through its log and list of what can or can't access the internet, I could not figure out how to turn the game back on. I even knew the time it happened.

HPs' solution was to do a restore.

There is free stuff at least as good.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20

Tip:
    HPs' Help & Support phone line is a person on the telephone doing exactly what you can do yourself with the Help & Support in the start menu.

You could be the person on the phone, reading from your computer, going through the trouble-shooting steps regarding the problem you are having.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice