1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Preparing Desktop" then a Blue Screen with mouse...NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Zebila, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zebila

Zebila Thread Starter

Ok so my mother threw her laptop in front of me and there were boot up errors which included PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable and Operating System Not Found. I firstly checked the BIOS and everything seemed to be fine there and i Restored to Default and Saved. I couldn't find her Vista disk that she should of got with her laptop so i used my own (Is this a mistake?). I then selected repair and it seemed to fix a file and windows started to run.

This is where the problem starts. It would do the normal windows loading (logo, green bar etc) then on the screen "Preparing Your Desktop" for a good few mins. Then it would load up with a Blue screen with only having the ability to use the mouse. I then did Ctrl+Alt+Delete and ran the task explorer.exe. This loaded a temporary desktop which wouldn't allow me to run most programs. Now at this point i wanted to run a System Restore but there are no Restore Points avaliable....(sigh).

Then i read somewhere else that i should delete some registery files. So i lauched regedit.exe and went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/MountedDevices and deleted the files and restarted. This did not do anything and the files i deleted were restored and had to carry on from the blue screen again.

So, that's my problem and i would love some help or advice please :) If you need anymore information please ask.

Thanks,
    Luke.

2. parker34

parker34

if you figure this out or solved the issue please let me know because i am having the same exact problem thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice