1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Preparing SSD to install Windows 10

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MailHaulerBill, Feb 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MailHaulerBill

MailHaulerBill Thread Starter

I am in the process of setting up, and installing Windows 10 on an Asus Z170-A mobo with a 6th Gen Intel 6100 dual core processor, and 8 gigs of PC3000 memory.
    I have the OS on a flash drive, and I have everything hooked up to do the install. I formatted the SSD which is a Crucial 320 Gig.
    I formatted the drive to NTFS on my existing computer, and hooked it up to the Asus board. I had an error stating that I need to convert it to GPT which I did.
    I was able to load Windows via the flash drive, everything showed up in the BIOS, and I was able to get to the part to install the OS.
    I then get another error stating that there is no partition to install the OS on, and it couldn't create one. I then created a partition on the SSD, reinstalled it, and I get the same error.
    What am I missing? I have tried everything including trying another SSD, and a regular HDD.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You're adding many unnecessary steps. All the partitions, partition type, and formatting will be done by the Windows installation by the wizard, none of this needs or should be done on another computer. I'd suggest you delete all partitions on the drive and start with a blank drive. maybe even secure erase the SSD.

SarahSims likes this.
  3. MailHaulerBill

I will erase the SSD I'm trying to use in the computer. It doesn't have a partition on it as of now, but I will make sure it's erased with no partitions.
    Is there a program that I can use to securely erase the SSD?
    Thanks for your reply Triple6.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. MailHaulerBill

:sick:If this doesn't work, I'm going to just go and get a new SSD, and install it with the Asus board, and start from scratch.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some asus boards have a utility built into the bios for secure erase of ssd type drives. Read your motherboard manual to see if you have this option.

7. MailHaulerBill

I will check that. There are so many options with this board in BIOS that I get completely lost.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I doubt you need to purchase another ssd. Just secure erase the the ssd and start over. Be sure your bios is set to whatever file system you want ie mbr[legacy] or gpt [uefi]

9. MailHaulerBill

Thank you for that. I have the board manual on a PDF on my computer, and it's easier for me to read, so I will look through it.
    I will definitely research the file system, does it make any difference between the legacy and the uefi? I'm not familiar with the gpt, so I will stick with the mbr legacy.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Legacy vs UEFI: https://phoenixts.com/blog/booting-uefi-mode/

New systems should be using UEFI.

ALso how did you make your Windows 10 USB installation stick? If it's made using a different tol than the official Microsoft Media Creation Tool it's possible it's set the wrong BIOS mode type and failing to see the drive correctly as a result. Try re-creating it using the official MS Media Creation tool.

11. MailHaulerBill

I used the MS media creation tool on my desktop. I have screwed something up in the BIOS on the board, now all I have to do is figure it out. I'm going to put it all together tomorrow, and start from scratch.
    The board is recognizing the SSD's, and windows tries to load, and that's when I get the error that there is no partition, and it can't create a partition. I will take some pics with my phone while I try to install Windows 10, and maybe that will help figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    One thing I saw last time I tried to load Windows was a red LED on my board concerning the boot devices. So something isn't right with the drives, but the board is recognizing them.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  12. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    You may want to watch this video if interested.

SarahSims and MailHaulerBill like this.
  13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have been messing with the bios, you can clear cmos or as asus calls it RTC. This will restore all settings to default; another option is to enter the bios and choose to load defaults.
    Be sure you secure erase the ssd and not just format/delete partitions on the drive.

MailHaulerBill likes this.
  14. MailHaulerBill

I will watch that later today. Thanks.

15. MailHaulerBill

I did clear the CMOS, but I will do it again. I have been reading the manual, and I think I messed a setting up, so clearing it will help I hope. I have built several systems over the years, and have never had this issue.
    The bios on this one is really tricky.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice