1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Presario 5000 with Athon XP? can do?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cellps3, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cellps3

cellps3 Thread Starter

This is my question...Can I install an Athlon XP processor in my presario 5000 PC with a UWAVE SOCKET A MOTHERBOARD 217155-009?...If so how fast/what type can it be. I currently have a 750MHz athlon with DDr 100mhz fsb effective speed 200mhz. The mobo can support up tp 133mhz ddr fsb and I think PC133 SDRAM (possibly DDR but I think not). Thanks for your help.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I am not sure what upgrade capabilities Compaq left you with. I would say that a 2400+ should work as it runs at 266 FSB.

It would all be decided by the bios I figure. Have you checked the HP/Compaq site to see if they list any upgrade options? Allot of the big box boys lock the bios down which just sucks. It may only work at one locked multiplier which would shoot you right in the foot.

3. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

i had that compaq (5wv series) mother board died after powersupply surged. the highest the processor i could put in it are thunderbird core processors and that means you are limited to 1.4 ghz. but those sell from 120-160 dollars on ebay and it would be cheaper to upgrade the whole shabang. though if you are looking to max the processor vs value. you may be able to get a 1.2 or 1.3 for under a hundred. i picked one up a month ago for 60$ SO THEY ARE OUT THERE. and you can get pc133 ram in there up to 1 gig of ram.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Wow, I should get on ebay. I have processors from the 1000 mhz t-bird to the A-XP 2400+ sitting here doing nothing. Lots of ram also + a few boards. I may be able to make some quick and easy cash. :D

5. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

only the 1.4 thunderbird was so valuble because few were made and most of those pc133 ram boards only went that high for processors. the thunderbird procesors had a 100 mhz fsb (200fsb ddr) not the 266 that came out a few months later.

6. cellps3

cellps3 Thread Starter

thanks, my board supports 266mhz when using DDr, otherwise its 133mhz, so I figured that I could probably put an athlon xp 2200+ or 2400+ since they use 266mhz ddr fsb...now I think my only question is "is the bios locked down".....I just wanna make sure before I go and spend 50$ on ebay and get a non compatible chip, though if that was the case I think I would go with a new mobo anyway...any more help would be greatly appreciated

7. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

the fsb on that board for the ram and the cpu is 2 differant speeds the cpu is limited to 200 mhz and ram is 266mhz. and the bios only reconized certian serial code processors i.e a 900mhz processor may have a die code that looks like axm900qq3d or similar to it (not a real code) its how amd identifies batches of cpus.

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Well thanks for crushing my dreams of wealth and fame.;) I really should get on ebay and unload some stuff though. I might make a couple of hundred with all of it together. Right now it is just sitting.

9. Rukee

Rukee Banned

I have one of those majical overclocking XP1700`s that are suppost to do 3GHz under sub-zero cooling, a JIUHB code, I don`t even have a motherboard to run it in anymore. :eek:

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Ebay it Rukee. I find ebay to be more bother than it is worth to be honest, but I should unload some stuff. It is getting more worthless everyday it sits here.

11. Rukee

Rukee Banned

I have the worst luck with e-bay, either I get dead beat bidders, or they rip me off. I had one guy I sold 2 brand new XP2700 in the retail packages to for like $40.00 each and he threatened to leave me neg feedback cause my internet when down and I didn`t leave him feedback quick enough, so after he had the CPUs he then threatens to leave neg feedback. I was like,,,WTF?? You got two brand new CPUs for less then a third the price of new, they were exactly as described shipped fast and safe, how could you threaten neg feedback when you got exactly what you bid on and received it quickly??

12. cellps3

cellps3 Thread Starter

I hate to be evil.....but can we stay on topic?.....thank yee muchly

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!