1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Presario 5410 and new hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by srhoades, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. srhoades

srhoades Thread Starter

I am trying to do a clean install of windows 98 on a brand new maxtor 40 gig hard drive. If I put it in my current machine, I am able to partition and read it. If I put it in the comapaq it doesn't see it. It is formated as fat32.

If I try and fdisk it from the compaq it says there are no devices. I can cd to c: but if I do anything it gives me a improper file system.

I am curious if this comapaq will only work with a proprietary hard drive. The bios on the compaq is very limited and does not show any devices.

2. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann

i wouldn't be surprised. you should go to the compaq site and see what you can find...
    what was the model of the old hdd?

3. srhoades

srhoades Thread Starter

Compaq's website is not helpfull to say the least. The drive is a Quantum Fireball CX, 6GB

4. n2gun

n2gun

check in the bios and make sure it is set to autodetect the drive. The old drive may have been set manually.

5. dzones

dzones

If your BIOS does not see it, which it probably will not then it will not work in that machine. If it came with a 6GB hard drive chances are that pc will not recognize any larger hard drive

Problem is when that machine was built there was nothing bigger than a 10GB available.

All you can do is see if there is a BIOS flash available but I have a feeling it will not work at all. You will have to find a smaller used hard drive.

Dave

6. srhoades

srhoades Thread Starter

Problem is the BIOS is extremely limited. Can change boot options and auto/maual for IRQ settings. I tried an old 2.1 gig western digital and it didn't see it when I booted off a boot disk.

The old hard drive was a qauntum fireball cx 6 gig.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170924

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice