1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Presario 700 Dead-Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CCarterOH, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCarterOH

CCarterOH Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario 700 Notebook (XP Pro OS) that was working fine yesterday and this morning NOTHING! No warnings--no error messages. When I hit the power-on button, the LCD lights up, but nothing else happens--no fan, no hard drive spinning, nothing on screen--no activity at all. If I plug the power cord in, the orange (power connected) LCD lights on the laptop and the separate laptop cooling board connected to the laptop's rear USB port comes on. So there is definitely power getting to the laptop. But I cannot open the CD drive--even when the LCD power light is lit. Does this mean the mother board is fried--or could it just be a bad fan? Help!

2. WarC

WarC

Check and reseat the battery in the laptop. Then, plug it in the wall and let it sit for awhile. Then try to start it up again.

If that fails, it looks like you might have to contact the manufacturer of the laptop to see about possibly exchanging the laptop or sending it in for repair.

The real pain of a laptop is that they aren't upgradeable like desktops and the components are proprietary...So what might be a fixable problem swapping a component from home on a desktop is a big time-consuming RMA hassle on a laptop!

3. 911

My sister has a Compaq laptop that will not power-up if the battery is defective, or missing, even when it is plugged into a wall outlet. It is pretty weird, and a lot of 'experts' say it cannot be the case, but it is true. She was told the thing was dead, needed to be scrapped, etc., but when she bought a (used) battery, everything came back to life.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice