1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Presario 700 won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrbill57, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrbill57

mrbill57 Thread Starter

Hello... Trying to rescue my bosse's laptop - he has NO cd's or other support disks, as he just moved here (ATL area) from New York. His display just cleared and it froze up. Now it only starts booting, even in safe mode, and locks up with the progress bar about 20% across.

Suspect drive failure, and he will buy a new one if necessary.

System:
    Presario 700.
    Windows XP (no disks and I use Win 98SE and Win2KPro here at home)
    20GB drive

Reseated the memory expansion, but have not opened it yet. I want to see if any data can be recovered. I have a USB drive for recovery and network, but have to be able to see the drive first. Booted with Win98 floppy but cannot see the drive. FDISK reports it as Active, NTFS.

How can I boot something to be able to recover data? He is fine if it is wiped-out and reloaded, as long as it can be used. But I want to try to recover what I can first.

Any suggestions?
    THANKS!

2. winbob

winbob

Try booting with a WinXP boot disk. If the Drive was NTFS a plain ole WIN98 System is not going to work with it.

If you don't have one go to Bootdisk.com and download one.

3. mrbill57

mrbill57 Thread Starter

Winbob,
    Thanks. That is a great site! I'm going to give the xpquick a try to see if |I can read the data, then see if he needs a new drive or only an install.

Will update you.mrbill57

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice