1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Presario Laptop R3145EA Windows XP Prob

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sidcup Silver, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sidcup Silver

Sidcup Silver Thread Starter

Switched on my laptop tonight only to find that it won't let me into Windows XP. I am unable to get in via Safe Mode either. The following applies:

On startup the Windows Logo appears followed by
    "We apologise for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully. A recent Hardware or Software change might hace caused this.
    Choose last known good configuration or revert to the most recent settings.
    Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with command Prompt
    Last known good configuration
    Start Windows normally."

I have tried all the above choices but cannot get into Safe Mode and I am merely returned to this screen each time.

I have tried a bootup disk that I made in 2006 but it merely says its starting Windows and then goes to A:\ Nothing then happens.

I have had no problems with the laptop at all and have kept my Firewall etc. up to date. I ran Windows Defender just last night and it told me my system was running normally.

The only thing I have noticed recently is that the battery may now be kaput. It purported to be at 0 capacity last night and was charging but it did not gain anything. I have, of course been using it via its power adapter - as normal.

Can anyone suggest what has gone wrong????

Your help would be appreciated.

SSS

2. Claymore

Claymore

If you have an XP CD, you could try a Repair Install.

Repair Windows XP

Performing a repair allows you to try and fix your existing installation of Windows XP. The main advantage of doing this is that you do not have to reinstall any applications, restore any data, or reconfigure your personalized settings. The basic steps for performing a repair are as follows:

Boot your computer using the Windows XP CD.
    When prompted press Enter to install Windows XP.
    After pressing F8 to accept the End-Use License Agreement, setup should detect your existing Windows installation.
    Press R to begin the recovery process.
    Setup will copy the necessary files to your hard drive and then reboot.
    Do not press any key to boot from the CD-ROM this time. Instead let setup continue.
    After the repair is complete, be sure to reinstall the latest service packs and updates since they will have been removed during the repair process.

3. Sidcup Silver

I do have both an Operating System CD and an Application Recovery CD.
    I did try the Operating System CD and it gave the option to install or repair so I chose the Repair R option. It transferred various files over but then seemed to do nothing. It didn't reboot but just sat there looking at me. Perhaps I didn't wait long enough or should I have gone through the Install Option instead of the Repair? Not being sure of what I should be doing I didn't want to make things worse, so I came out.

I wish the error message which comes up during the looping, would actually give you time to read it. No matter how I press the pause button, it never stops it on screen.

If I do repair/recover in the way you suggest, will it lose any other updates etc.?

I have the Service Pack 2 disk but will that then mean I shall have to download all the many updates which Windows have put out since 2005?

Are there any other "funnies" I need to know about before I go this route? I am always nervous that I may lose programmes etc.

Am sooo grateful for your prompt response
    SSS

4. Claymore

Claymore

Hello,

The Repair option will put you computer back to the status of the CD you use to do the repair. If it's a CD without SP2 you would have to re-install SP2. You would also have to install all the updates since SP2. It's no help right now, but Microsoft is to release SP3 sometime next year which will include all the updates to the date it will be released.

If you don't want to re-install SP2 after the repair, you can create another installation CD which would include SP2 (presuming you have the SP2 installer file) using the slipstream method. You can do it with a program, or manually. Here are the links:

Autostreamer program

Slipstream - Manual Instructions

The subject of storing and transferring Windows Updates came up in this forum. A bit complicated for the average user, but it may be worth a look:

Tech Support Guy - migrate Windows Updates

Either way you should do your best to save all your data, install files, e-mail, etc. to removable media. This is a safety precaution only, as a Repair should not disturb your data or installed programs.

5. Sidcup Silver

I have just tried Repairing my laptop using my Operating System CD.

It loaded files from the CD and got to the Welcome to Setup screen. I followed your instructions and entered against the Install Windows XP and accepted the End Use License Agreement. A listing of the partitions then appeared.

c:\ Partition 1 Unknown 57224 mb
    Un partitioned space 8 mb

As there was no "R" option the only thing I could do was quit .

Is there anything else I can try other than go for a complete re Install? I do not have an XP Programme disk. Only the disks (Currys) HP provided.

As the Partitions are shown, can I take it that the hard disk is OK?

Wendy

6. Claymore

Claymore

Hello Wendy,

Your file system isn't being recognized. Try this, if you can get to the command prompt:

1. Insert your XP CD and restart your computer.
    2. At the Setup screen, press 'R' to access the Repair Console.
    3. Select the installation you want to repair. Usually there's only a single one listed, such as C:\Windows or C:\WINNT. Type in the number and Enter.
    4. On the next screen enter your password (if you have one).
    5. On the next screen, at the prompt, type in chkdsk /r {with a space before the /r parameter} and press Enter. Let it run.
    6. At the prompt again, type in fixmbr and press Enter.
    7. At the prompt again, type in fixboot and press Enter.
    8. Remove your XP CD and restart the computer.

7. Sidcup Silver

For CLAYMORE As per your instructions I did as follows:

I put my OS CD into the laptop and Pressed R to access the Repair Console.
    Nothing but the C prompt came up. There was no operating system shown.
    I put in c:\dir and got a message that there was an error during Directory enumeration.
    At C prompt I then entered c:\chkdsk /r
    It then showed
    CHKDSK is performing checking and recovery

I left it to run and it seemed to be checking as the percentage meter ticked up but it seemingly hit 100% and then started checking again. In the end I left it to run whilst I did other jobs (gardening actually :) ). When I came back the laptop had switched itself off.

I wasn’t able to put the Fixmbr and fixboot in as I couldn’t get back to c:\ when I went through the Setup Procedure again.
    This time round it did show the Operating system c:\Windows which it had not before. However, upon hitting Enter it went into the Windows Setup routine. It took another reboot before it would let me in but my settings did come up as before. However, the laptop then kept switching off after just a few minutes. Once I got back in for a length of time I went to Control Panel / Power Management and found that the options had been changed to 5 minutes for mains. I changed them back to NEVER for mains and 30 mins for battery. It still continued to turn off without warning so in the end I removed the battery and changed all settings to several hours.

Then I found that the Wireless Connection wouldn’t, so I finally re-installed the WAN drivers x 4 and it now works OK.

The startup screens are different as is the close down, but the laptop is working.
    YIPPEE!! and many thanks for your suggestions of course.

But, I am worried that it might do the same thing again and i wonder whether anyone can possibly suggest why the system decided not to start up as normal? I had not added hardware or software / there had been no major updates. Could it possibly be down to the battery which seems to be completely kaput although I rarely used it as I am normally attached to a power source?

Although I am a complete novice at this, I am very interested to know why things like this happen. :confused:

Thank you Tech Guys for getting me back into my laptop and especially Claymore.
    ----------------------------
    (y) SSS

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice