1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Presario QuickRestore and 98 OS Problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by nkrause, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nkrause

nkrause Thread Starter

I decided to do a quick restore on my presario 7470 because it started running really slow. When I clicked the "backup now" button, the computer immediately went to deleting everything. I aborted the quickrestore. Now when I reboot the machine, I get the "invalid system disk" message. I took the machine apart, more than necessary, in order to get files copied from my hard drive. I was successful with this, but am now having a hard time getting all of the communication cables plugged in correctly. To make matters worse, my kids broke my original cd drive so I purchased a new one. Do I plug the data cable into the cd drive as I do the hard drive. If so, which one is on the end and which one on the middle? If not, then I assume I should use the other available data cable for the cd drive and plug it into the end plug and leave the middle unplugged?

I took the hard drive to a service center and retrieved everything I wanted and thought I needed off of the drive. I simply want to get this machine running again so that my kids can use it. (4 and 6) As I mentioned before, I have the Compaq QR disks, but do not have any Windows 98 disks.

So, in summary: QuickRestore aborted. Get "Invalid System Disk". Now have new cd drive that was never installed on my machine before. I am not sure it is connected correctly to the data cables. How to get my operating system back? Had 98 and do not have backup disks. I do have the Compaq QR disks. How to get machine to boot, recognize new cdrom and then read the QuickRestore disks?

THANKS

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

With the computer completely unplugged, especially from the from power, be sure and ground yourself by touching the bare metal of the computer frame, and holding your feet still, before touching any internal components in the computer.

If you look closely at the mainboard you'll see there's a IDE1 and IDE2. IDE1 is called channel 1 or the Primary channel. IDE2 is channel 2 or the Secondary channel.

Jumpers are on the back of the drives and are small plastic sleeves that fit over sets of two (2) pins. A 'map' on all drives show which pin sets are Master, Slave or Cable Select.

The hard drive (HDD) is plugged onto IDE1 on the cable head farthest from the mainboard, jumpered as Master.

The CD-ROM is plugged onto IDE2 (and if there's only one CD-ROM) jumpered as Master as well.

The red stripe on the IDE cables goes next to the power plug-in on the drives, if there is no cable-head key that shows which way the cable-head goes into the plug-in.

Since to use the Restore CD you must have all the original, or factory authorized, hardware plugged onto the mainboard, and you have added a CD-ROM, it's likely that even if you get your computer's internal cables routed and plugged in properly the Restore process on the CD-ROM won't work. But give it a try, you might get lucky. HDDs and memory don't have to be original hardware for the Restore program to work.

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Here's how you install from scratch with a Windows, or two Windows install CDs.

Please see the attached printable tutorial.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice