1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Presario R3240: CPU Overheating, Computer Shuts Down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by charlesamati, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. charlesamati

charlesamati Thread Starter

As mentioned, I have a Presario R3240US Laptop. The fan output is on the bottom, and the intake is in the rear of the computer. When gaming, or running any program which puts a high percentage load on the 2.0 GHz AMD 64 CPU, the computer will shut off, without warning. In an attempt to fix this, I added 512MB more RAM, for a total of 768MB; to no avail. The computer still overheats and shuts down. Is there anything short of drastic work that can be done to resolve this?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is this Laptop still under warranty? If so I would talk to Compaq about a warranty repair. And if you are using the laptop on a bed or other such surface this is a bad idea. Blankets and carpets tend to block the vents and cause over heating. Like I said if it is under warranty, avoid doing anything to void the warranty and let the manufacturer make it right.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    On a laptop this is a little more difficult than a tower or desk top. You can however purchase cooling pads for laptops that tend to help some.

4. charlesamati

charlesamati Thread Starter

I run the laptop on non-porous surfaces and, to ensure that the computer has air-movement underneath, I prop the computer up at about a 10 degree angle. The computer is still under warranty, but I would prefer not to lose my work, gaming, and communication station for 3 weeks whilst Circuit City (I got the warranty through the store rather than through Compaq - more lenient on memory upgrades) attempts to solve the problem.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It could be a dirty Heatsink. You might try a can of compressed air to blow it out. I would avoid opening up the case though. Not sure how lenient Circuit City is on the warranty. But if I paid for a warranty I would be using it. Perhaps they would just swap the computer for a new one as replacement.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!