1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

preserving file order when burning to CD

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by gib88, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gib88

gib88 Thread Starter

hello,

I'm trying to burn a set of files to a CD and the order is important. It's a set of architectural plans and the order is important because the one who gets this CD will be printing the plans out frequently and it is important that they are printed out and bound together in the proper order. The problem is, every time I burn a CD, even though I set the file order manually, this order is overwritten whenever I open the CD on a new computer. It likes to order them alphabetically. For example, there are files a2-1, a2-2, a2-3, a2-4, a2-5, a2-6, a2-7, a2-8, a2-9, a2-10, a2-11, a2-12, and a2-13. This is the proper order, but when the computer orders them alphabetically, we get a2-10 through a2-13 coming right after a2-1 (i.e. the order becomes a2-1, a2-10, a2-11, a2-12, a2-13, a2-2, a2-3, a2-4, a2-5, a2-6, a2-7, a2-8, and a2-9). We can't have this. The person who gets this CD must see the proper order. I can't order them in the way I want with the options under view -> arrange icons by -> ... because this order is arbitrary from the computer's point of view. Even if I uncheck autoarrange and organize them manually, it doesn't preserve my order.

I need a way of preserving the initial order of files (and folders) when burning to a CD and opening it on different computers. Is there a way?

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Have you tried or is it allowable in the structure that you want to add a leading zero to the single digit numbers?

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The order in which files are listed in Explorer is completely dependent on the computer configuration. This is not something you can control. Some people may have Z-A sort order as the default, others may choose file size, date modified, etc.

If you need to display a list of files in a specific order, you need some type of custom interface to display them in such as a web page.

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

The DNA guy is right but the default is A-Z and most go with the default and you can always send a note along to tell them to be sure to display alphabetically AND at least your data IS in alphabetic order so it CAN be ordered properly.

5. gib88

gib88 Thread Starter

Hmm, that's too bad. Fortunately for me, I can do what fairnooks suggested and rename my files. That'll do the trick for now.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/637183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice