1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

President Bush caught in a little iPod scandal

Discussion in 'Tech-Related News' started by RootbeaR, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RootbeaR

RootbeaR Thread Starter

Written by Christian Zibreg
    Monday, 07 April 2008

"Chicago (IL) - In a recent Fox News interview, Bush shared his affection for iPods, showed the music player and revealed a portion of his playlist. As it appears, Bush ripped Beatles music from CDs and copied it to the music player. As we all should know, this is a big no-no, at least according to the RIAA. Is Bush breaking the law?"
    http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36817/118/

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I believe the issue of making copies for your personal use was decided by the Supreme Court many years ago, wasn't that the BetaMax case? The CD's are not encrypted, so you're not violating the DMCA. Some links for your education.

Does that clear it up for you?

I know it's stylish to bash Bush, but you could at least pick an example that is valid. :rolleyes:

3. NyteByter

NyteByter

4. DaChew

DaChew

I don't think the poster was bashing Bush, but pointing out how rediculous the RIAA stand was.

A similar note, the leading player in protecting movies on dvd, Sony, has a corporate VP that admitted in a press conference that he backs up his own movies.

I think Bush is safe from impeachment on this issue, since like in the sony betamax ruling the Supreme Court is the final word on the law here, not some private interest group like the RIAA.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

All it takes to file a lawsuit is a lawyer and a sympathetic judge. That doesn't mean the lawsuit has any merit. :rolleyes:

6. DaChew

DaChew

I actually think it would be nice for that suit to reach a higher court, we need another landmark decision to clear the air, of course downunder, taping a tv show on a vcr is still illegal, just another law that everyone breaks and ignores.

7. RootbeaR

RootbeaR Thread Starter

You got it. I just posted the article. The question is part of the article.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

You really think Bush knows how to do this by himself? Maybe. But if anyone pressed the issue, Bush would know nothing about it and some innocent underling in the Commerce Department or somewhere would take the blame and quit or go to jail. Bush is Teflon-coated.

9. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Let's not turn this into a CivDeb thread... (I wrote CD at first but wanted to be clear. ;) )

I doubt Bush actually ripped the CDs, too. I'm sure he has someone to set up such things for him. I know I would! :)

I think there is some gray area about whether or not you can rip a CD to put it on your iPod. Morally, I have no problem doing it at long as you actually own the CD (as opposed to ripping your friend's CD, which I believe it wrong). It's my understanding (without being a lawyer) that you can make personal copies like this, although DMCA says that you can't break any kind of copy protection. Just my two cents.

10. DaChew

DaChew

:D :eek:

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

That would be common sense. And that is also my understanding, but I think only one copy at a time is allowed.

12. RootbeaR

RootbeaR Thread Starter

I believe the USA and Canada are very similar for this part of copying media.

The RIAA wants it to be only legal for music purchased online to be on MP3 player.

My computer has saved me a fortune in CDs' already. Discs that refuse to play in any stereo have been ripped with PC and work like new after burning them. I think it is pretty amazing considering the originals aren't even recognized as audio CDs'.

Just showed a friend how to do so the other day. Now he is ticked that I made him keep the originals for proof of purchase.

I wonder if just the cover from the album would be good enough for proof of purchase?

13. DaChew

DaChew

If they can sell you a movie or a song in 3 or 4 formats and you are stupid enough to pay them for each differnt one, how can you blame them.

Stupid is as stupid does and there's a fool born every minute.

14. Gigacore

Gigacore

does bush has time to rip all those music ? I think his assistant or someone else did for him like techguy said

15. ferrija1

ferrija1

Although the RIAA has often said that CD ripping is illegal, I found this on their site.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice