1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Press Any Key To Boot From Cd Rom

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ORANGEEYE, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ORANGEEYE

ORANGEEYE Thread Starter

I CAN NOT BOOT UP FROM THE HARD DRIVE. THE MESSAGE IS ALWAYS ''BOOT DISK FAILURE, PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD ROM" (XP) i HAVE RE-INSTALLED 3 TIMES BUT IT DOES NOT CHANGE. SYSTEM WORKS FINE ONCE IT IS UP. TRIED BOOT INI IN SYSTEM FOLDER. I AM WONDERING IF THE HD IS FRIED IN THE MBR. I HAVE NOT FOUND ANY PROGRAMS THAT DEAL WITH THIS TOUGH I HAVE BEEN TOLD THEY EXIST. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

First things first. Welcome. Lose the caps.
    I CAN NOT BOOT UP FROM THE HARD DRIVE. THE MESSAGE IS ALWAYS ''BOOT DISK FAILURE, PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD ROM" (XP) i HAVE RE-INSTALLED 3 TIMES BUT IT DOES NOT CHANGE. SYSTEM WORKS FINE ONCE IT IS UP

This does not compute. If you cannot boot, it cannot be working fine "once it is up" Please clarify.

3. ORANGEEYE

ORANGEEYE Thread Starter

The message says to boot from the operating disk which I do and it does and it runs. The problem is that it won't boot up normally from the hard drive.

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Check that the boot partition is set as Active.

5. ORANGEEYE

ORANGEEYE Thread Starter

Where is it that I can tell if the boot partition is active or not. Currently I am trying to run the recovery console.

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I don't have enough experience with NTFS to know if FDisk will tell you; I don't like NTFS and do not set it up on any machines I build for my own reasons. However, if you run the Repair and select to allow it to do all possible repairs automatically, it will set whatever partition needs to be active, active.

There are two possible methods selectable; one is the Console and I have forgotten what the other is called. I do remember that the Console is a command-line utility where you run one repair of your choice at a time and the other selection will run all repairs without asking further. The latter is the one you want.

7. ORANGEEYE

ORANGEEYE Thread Starter

Thanks, I am trying this. I appreciate your help.
    OE

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice